The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Field Artillery

Guest joan cruse

Guest joan cruse
;) My father's military records were burnt and all my researcher could find were the medal index cards. He was a driver in the RFA, Svce No 46966 and went to France on 26/8/1915. I have been looking through the RFA on www.1914-1918 and noted that 102 Brigade, 23rd Division went to France on that same day. If I can't find his original records could I at least get some idea of what he might have gone through from those records do you think?

Joan I had a similar problem with my own Great Grandfather Charlie Addams Gnr 99022 of the 12th Eastern Division, from his medal card and then using the list of when units arrived overseas I summised he was part ot the 12th Div, this was later proven when some additional family photographs turned up that were addressed to him in the field, this site or Becke's order of battle will help you put together his war service until you can get to the PRO and view his unit war diary's. The 23rd Div primarily fought on the Somme from the 4th July through to October, notably at Contalmaison, Flers-Courcelette, Morval and the Transloy Ridge. The following year saw them at Messines and 3rd Ypres whilst in 1918 they were sent to Italy fighting on the Asiago Plateau, the Piave and the Battle of Vittorio Veneto.

Guest joan cruse

:D Thanks for that Clive, unfortunately I can't get to Kew, I live in Australia. But its amazing how much you can find out from the www. I just wanted to be sure I was on the right track. I have the Brigades and Order of Battle for the 23rd Division and my Dad did tell me the infantry he was with taught him "On Ilkley Moor Bah Tat" and as 70th Brigade has the 8th and 9th Bns York and Lancaster I would take a bet that that's who he was with.

I guess at this stage I feel its more important to have an idea of where he might have gone, at least I can get a feel for what might have happened to him that way.

Cheers

Joan