The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2/5th Lincolns

Chris Noble

Hi Pals.

Anybody provide me with the actions of the above battalion on 21/3/18?

SDGW lists O/Rs 43 casualties, Officers 1. Only 2 casualties have known graves (buried Grevillers British Cemetery, Pas de Calais).

Any info much appreciated.

Chris.

From the British Official History, firstly a footnote on 21st March:

'[Refering to the 2/5 Sherwood Foresters] It was just too late [after 12 noon]; before the retirement had proceeded far, the greater part of the survivors were surrounded from the north and cut off. Some held out until 3 pm, but only a few managed to join the supporting force which had moved up from behind Vraucourt about noon. The men [of the supporting force]... seem to have been the leading parties of the 2/5th Lincolnshire sent up from divisional reserve.'

The story continues:

'The 2/5th Lincolnshire moved by successive platoons along the ridge north of the Hirondelle valley. After passing through the rear defences of the Battle Zone, it came under a withering fire from machine guns and rifles. Heavy casualties bought the rapid advance to a sudden stop, and, after further efforts to hold their ground, the Lincolnshire were driven back, eventually to take cover in a switch trench running southwards from Noreuil, whence they opened fire from both sides. The remnants of the battalion were, however, soon surrounded and overpowered, a few men only of the rear companies succeeding in extricating themselves.'

Robert

Here is a map showing Vraucourt and the Hirondelle Valley leading to Noreuil. The ridge is marked and there is an arrow pointing to the switch trench.

Robert

post-2-1094503836.jpg

Map from O.H. showing positions at the start of the battle on 21st March. (2/5 Lincolns in bottom left hand corner of scan). The solid line is the line at the beginning, the broken line is the line on the morning of 22nd march.

Dave.

post-2-1094515496.jpg

Chris,

Please contact fellow forum member Chris Bailey who has the Lincolnshire Regimental history, i know there is a little more detail to add from there to what Robert has told you.

Do you have a specific interest here? I am compiling a database of the 5th Lincolns and will have details for most of these casualties. I have not yet studied the period you are concerned with in any depth though.

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Steve.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll drop Chris a p.m.

As for the interest, have a lad commemorated on my local war memorial.

Sergeant Walter Dukes 41400, K.I.A., 21/3/18.

Previously served as 23916 West Yorkshire Regiment and then in a Training Reserve Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment becoming 8708. Walter has no known grave and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

Not a great picture but here you are.

Regards, Chris.

post-2-1094655778.jpg

Scanned from Regt History.

post-2-1094814788.jpg