The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1882 joseph shelton Man Reg

mcfc1923

My father died a few months back he was 68, so i have in the last couple of days been trying to research his side of the family, starting with his father who i never knew as i was about 2 when he died.

Anyway, after about 4 hours of trying to get my head around the 1901 census site

i gave up but was lucky enough to come across a family research forum that looked up the info for me, he was born in 1901 so i imagine it's very unlikely he joined up,

he had a brother or brothers so i need to speak to family about them if i can find them, but i know he had a sister called Emily who married a Joseph Shelton and they had at least 2 children, i tried the national Archives to trace my grandfather

but nowt came up, which to be honest is what i expected, so i typed in Joseph Shelton (MIC) and only one came up, but how would i find out if this is the one that married Emily, i'm sure it's not because surely some member of my family would have mentioned it.

would be grateful if any of the pals can point me in the right direction as to wher i should look next, any feedback would be appreciated.

regards

mcfc1923

MCFC

Presumably you also know what Emily's maiden name was? This should help to tie things in.

You could also see if the service records for the Joseph Shelton you have found exist on microfilm at the National Archive. If they do (and there may only be a 30% chance of it), then it will give next of kin. If he had already married, then it is mostt likely his wife will be listed.

Do you know if the family had long-standing connections with a particular area. Might be worth then chasing down parish marriage records.

I suspect that the best way forward might be to try to identify the two children (as these are the "most recent" they are likely to be better known in the family history available to yu) and then work back, rather than trying to leap a couple of generations.

Good luck. By the way, does your Forum "handle" relate to a well known football team wot is the pride of Manchester?

John

• 2 weeks later...
Have you tried the 1841.com website?

Ian

sorry for delay, didn't tick the ''let me know of new messages box''

will try the 1841.com and let you know how i got on.

cheers Ian

jim

mcfc1923

MCFC

Presumably you also know what Emily's maiden name was? This should help to tie things in.

You could also see if the service records for the Joseph Shelton you have found exist on microfilm at the National Archive. If they do (and there may only be a 30% chance of it), then it will give next of kin. If he had already married, then it is mostt likely his wife will be listed.

Do you know if the family had long-standing connections with a particular area. Might be worth then chasing down parish marriage records.

I suspect that the best way forward might be to try to identify the two children (as these are the "most recent" they are likely to be better known in the family history available to yu) and then work back, rather than trying to leap a couple of generations.

Good luck. By the way, does your Forum "handle" relate to a well known football team wot is the pride of Manchester?

John,

sorry for delay in reply, if all things work out equal, Emily should be my Grand fathers sister= Emily Warburton. Can't get to grips trying to trace Sheltons service record at the Nat Archives, but will have another go tonight.

From what little i know most or nearly all the family connections are from the manchester area.

As for the 2 shelton children, and ther may be more than 2, i know that one died about 8 year ago (jimmy) but it's just come to me that my father received a letter from the other childs (charlie) daughter about 4 year ago thanking my dad for the photos he sent charlie, so will have a root for that letter, it may have an address or

phone number. And like you say it may be worth chasing down the parish records.

gonna have a look for the letter and will get back to you on this.

Asfor my forum handle, yes indeed it does relate to GODS OWN TEAM.

cheers John

Jim

mcfc1923

'As for my forum handle, yes indeed it does relate to GODS OWN TEAM.

Jim

mcfc1923'

god's own team? :D

massive club................ :rolleyes: