The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mapping

mutley

I am fortunate enough to be going on a tour of Gallipoli at the end of May and would like to know of the best place to get mapping from. I am particularly interested in the ground fought over by the 6th Leinsters as my grandfather was wounded there and evacuated to Mudros and then back to UK.

Any help appreciated

Mutley

Unless you are going to Kew visit the WFA site. Their "mapping the Front" CD's include a Gallipoli one. I'm not sure whether there are any other offers through the Gallipoli Association website, but its worth a visit in any event.

Keith

Hi Mutley

As you probably know, part of the 29th Brigade, 10th Irish Division. So maps of Anzac, including Russell's Top will be required. I have recorded in the book on the 10th Light Horse Regt - Gallipoli to Tripoli, a private of the 6th Leinster's being killed (shelling) next to 2nd Lt Irwin Burges of the 10th LH on 21 August. This was on Russell' Top, after the main fighting of the August offensive from 6-10 August in which your g/father's unit was involved. Best you get the unit war diary from the National Archives in UK. Good luck with the maps and sing out for what you can't find. Some bloke will have one for sure. Enjoy Gallipoli!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Ian Gill

You should find most of what you want on the (very reasonably) proced WFA disc - plus plenty of coverage of the rest of the peninsula. As others have said the National Archives would be the other source. They have a substantial collection, but you wil need to plan a visit in advance in terms of identifying the maps you may want to consult.

The following may give you a start with some other on line maps

http://alh-research.tripod.com/hill_60_gallipoli_august_1915/

and

http://alh-research.tripod.com/hill_60_gallipoli_august_1915/PB070170hill60_trench-map_1a.jpg

Thanks again for all the help, I've been a 'part time battlefield tour guide' for years taking groups of soldiers to the western front, Normandy, Arnhem, Monte Cassino etc even taking a group to South Africa to look at Rorkes Drift etc, but this is the first time I've had the chance to go to Gallipoli. I dont have any details on my Grandfathers injuries as the only injuries mentioned in his pension file refer to his second wounding with the 7th Bn Leinster Regiment on the Somme in September 1916. From his service records it shows him being evacuated to Mudros and then back to the UK where he is hospitalised in Manchester, before being returned to the Depot at Birr and then subsequently being sent to the 7th Bn in France.

WIth regard to the WFA mapping does anyone know what system it runs off?

Mutley

Basically its just a collection of massive jpegs. Have look on their site for the "Mapping the Front" drop down. There is an article explaining all.

Keith

I am fortunate enough to be going on a tour of Gallipoli at the end of May and would like to know of the best place to get mapping from. I am particularly interested in the ground fought over by the 6th Leinsters as my grandfather was wounded there and evacuated to Mudros and then back to UK.

Any help appreciated

Mutley

You might find it useful to download the 10th (Irish) Div war diaries which will include the 29th Inf Bde war diaries as well as the Leinsters' war diary. It will give daily locations so you can build up a picture of exactly where his unit was during their time on the peninsula. They are available from the National Archives for just a few pounds.

If you are looking to pinpoint an actual spot I would also recommend using Google Earth as many of the maps in published works and battlefield guides are not particularly accurate.

MG

Ive just finished reading the 10th Division in Gallipoli and will get the War Diaries from the National Archives. Ive ordered the mapping CD from the WFA as well.

thanks

Mutley

consider reading Philip Orr's "Field of Bones" as well ... if you already haven't done so.

eric