The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Guest scott

Hello,

My Great Grandfather Andrew Horne signed up with the KOSB sometime in 1915 at Berwick-upon-Tweed and according to his medal card, entered the war in the Balkans on 17 September of that year. He died on the 19 September 1918 during the assault on Pip Ridge, one story is that he was shot by a sniper, the other was that he was blown up in an army ambulance. Anyway, at the time of his death he was with the 8th Bat Royal Scots Fusiliers. I'm wondering if anybody might know why he might have changed from the KOSB to the RSF? I've had a look at Kew to see if his records survived, however unfortunately they did not so any info I have on him is very sketchy and I don't know why there was a regimental change. I did look at the regimental diary for 19 September, which was utterly fascinating and very descriptive.

Any advice is gratefully received.

Best,

Scott

Hi Scott,

If he entered service 17th September 1915 in the Balkans he must have been in some other unit as the KOSB were not in Salonika. 8th RSF didn't go to Salonika until November 1915 so it may be he transferred to them from some other unit.

Aye

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for that. Yes maybe he joined the KOSB (I know for a fact he enlisted in Berwick) moved to another regiment before going to the Fusiliers? I'm attaching the medal card which gives the Balkans date.

Many thanks,

Scott

Or he was in the KOSB and moved to the RSF as the fast way to ' get overseas ' - just a thought. Have you tried the KOSB Museum at Berwick? The custodians are very helpful.

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks for the advice Malcolm. I'll drop them a line.

Best wishes,

Scott

P.S. Is the 'date of entry' on the medal card the date he would have arrived, or left for the Balkans?