The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Quickest Bit of Research Ever!

Guest katiepops

Having spent the best part of a couple of years trying to find information on my great uncle Frank, it occurred recently that one of my Grandma's cousins was killed in the war (see my thread about Post Office personnel being exempt from service) ... Mum has dug out the family tree (I've got a copy somewhere) and gave me his name and a rough date. It took me about 30 seconds to track him down on the War Graves Commission site ... how cool is that!

So, an hour ago I couldn't even remember what his name was, and now I know a lot more. I LOVE this site!

Kate

Keep digging and you will probably find even more - its just like a jigsaw only you have to find the pieces as well as put the picture together.

Fred

And I would bet that if you dropped some details on the forum you would probably get loads more information...........

And I would bet that if you dropped some details on the forum you would probably get loads more information...........

I'm hoping so! Just been to find his medal card, though I can't make head nor tail of it.

Anyway ...

William Henry Marsh dob ?1894

Lance Corporal Essex Regiment 7 Bn

KIA 24/11/1915

Service no 988

Medal card says under the remarks section D of W 24/11/15 - died of wounds???

Then theatre of war served in says (2b) Balkans

Date of entry therein 11/8/15

TIA.

Kate

Kate

Soldiers Died in the Great War Information is :-

988 Lance Corporal William Henry Marsh

7th Battalion Essex Regiment

Died of wounds, Gallipoli, 24/11/1915

Born : Walthamstow, Essex

Enlisted : Walthamstow

Residence : Walthamstow

Steve

Kate,

I am very happy for you!

Isn't it amazing when things fall into place?

Sounds like the "bug" has bitten you too! ;)

cheers Shelley :D

Kate

1901 census has our man aged 7 residing at 8 Hoe Street, Walthamstow, one of 6 sons of George and Ann Marsh.

Have you got all this information already?

SN

Kate

As I mentioned today on another post, it would be worthwhile you speaking to Ian Hook, curator, at the Essex Regiment museum in Oaklands' Park, Chelmsford. The museum has a database of Essex Regt soldiers which, although still being compiled, is fairly extensive and may contain additional information on your relative.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Kate,

On the 20th November the 1/7th Battalion, Essex Regiment relieved the 1/5th Battalion, Suffolk Regiment in the front line. On the 24th November a mine exploded under Essex Barricade in Beech Lane with 8 men being killed at 10 being wounded. They were relieved by the 1/4th Northamptonshire Regiment the same day. I would guess your relative died of wounds as a result of this incident. Less than two weeks later the battalion was evacuated. I suggest you hunt down the war diary at the PRO which may give some further details of the incident.

(From 'British Regiments at Gallipoi' by Ray Westlake)

Rgds

Tim D

Excellent Katiepops!! :D Its great when it falls like that!!

Sounds like 54th Territorial Division to me (161 Bgde??), and if thats the case the Division were pretty much assigned as 'line holders' from the end of August 1915. Ive been exploring the 5th Beds and 162 Bgde from that Division, and have something at home about the 7th Essex Im sure. Sorry but itll take me a few days to get to it :( (just moved). A service number like his suggests he was a Pre War Territorial as well.

Try a search on this forum using 7th Essex; I know Ive discussed the 6th Essex before with Matthew King (Pvt Lionel Kings diaries survived and are on line; a useful reference point of what the Essex boys were feeling & experiencing Id say, and some meat for the story p'raps?) but recall the 7th coming up in chat too.

Also, wasnt the end of November when the 'severe winter storms' hit Gallipoli anyone?

Best of luck to you, and I hope you get loads more on him; sounds like he wants to be found again!!!

Steve