The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Entrenchment Battalion (NZEF)

christine liava'a

Can some one explain to me just what an entrenchment Battn actually did, and what is the difference between them and Sappers, Engineers, Pioneers, and Tunnelling companies, in the NZEF?

Christine

I don't think the entrenchment battalion was any different for NZEF. Typically, newly arrived soldiers or those recovering from wounds would be assigned to an entrenching battalion. They would be involved in building/repairing trenches and other work, probably under the supervision of an engineer. It gave the new recruits a chance to begin experiencing some of the sights and sounds of war without starting off in the frontline.

Robert

As the NZEF was run along British lines there was no major difference between their Order of battle, and the British. For ease of interoperability this made perfect sense.

Robert give a succinct discription of what an entrenching Bn did. as for the others.

The Tunneling Coys were a branch of the NZ Engineers. They did exactly that, dug tunnels underground to plant mines and provide lines of passage and storage. The idea was not unique, and most armys had tunneling units.

Engineers are there to enhance mobility to friendly troops and deny access to enemy. Typicaly they were highly skilled in constructing defences and roads working with heavy machinery. They were a Divisional asset, in that they worked under Div Comd instructions and tended to work with more technical tasks. Engineers also carried a high proportion of tradesmen, such as carpenters and plumbers with whom they built and imporved amneities that the troops would use. A Pte in the Engineers holds the rank of Sapper incidently.

Pioneers were for want of a better word, combat engineers. They worked closer to the front line in many cases and provided the muscle to get stuff done. In a pinch they could be utilised as Infantry. Generally they cleared roads, breached obstacles and ensured that the lines of communication were clear. They also salvaged equipment off the field. Normally a Pioneer Platoon was with an Infantry bn to give the CO more flexability in setting up obstacles etc. The basic difference was the tradeskill and the access to heavy machinery.

Ent Bns, Engineers, and Pioneers were seperate, but their responsibilites and duties overlapped and complimented one another. There certainly would not be a case of an Engineer flinging his tools down and stating that it was a Pioneers job to get the task done.

I started studying up on the entrenching battalions after browsing a few previous threads on this forum; for example, here .

It seems there were two incarnations in the British Army. The first started up in 1916, and another version briefly in 1918. I presume the New Zealand version must have followed the British organization, at least the first time around. I have followed the Canadian case in the on-line war diaries and they seemed to use the British organization.

The principal feature of the entrenching battalions (which were organized one to a division), was that they functioned both as construction labour units and also as forward infantry replacement depots. Their personel were on the books of the various infantry units, rather than on the books of the particular entrenching battalion. Eventually, it was found that the idea did not work very well. As the Canadian commander noted when recommending their removal, because of the constant shifting of personel they were much less efficient than would be pure labour battalions, and because they were always busy on work parties, the men had no time to train as infantry.

There is a superb 'Official History of the New Zealand Engineers During the Great War 1914 - 1919'. I got my copy from Naval and Military Press. For anyone interested in a detailed description of what engineers did, it is excellent. The New Zealanders were renowned for their ingenuity, a characteristic needed in rural daily life but not confined to the New Zealanders. In the history, you see this coming through in the innovative way they tackled certain problems. A fascinating read.

Robert

Thank you. I shall be checking on the enlistment and travel dates for the 2nd Entrenchment Batn, to see if they were newly arrived.

For another fascinating, although difficult, read, download the Mining at Hill 60 Appendix at p949 of Vol 4 Official History from the AWM.gov.au website. If it gets too tedious, please read the concluding notation.