The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

8th Light Horse

Guest deepathart

Guest deepathart

Can any one please advise information on how I can find out what theatres of war and what British units fought with the Australian 8th Light Horse.

The Australian Archives advise that in 1914 the 6th Light horse was formed, it was then renumbered the 8th and became part of the 3rd Light horse. Sailed from Melbourne on 24/2/1914 and arrived in Egypt 14/3/1914.

The Light horse were considered unsuitable for initial operations at Gallipoli but were deployed without the horses. The 3rd LH landed in May 1915 and were attached to the NZ and Aust divisions. The 8th formed part of the first two waves for the brigades attack onthe NEK and left the peninsular Dec 1915.

Dec 1917 saw the 8th at the capture of Jerusalem. 1918 the 8th was involved with the capture of Tiberius.

They went back to Egypt in March 1919 and finally sailed for Australia on 3rd July 1919.

It does not mention any British Regiments - I have a copy of my great uncles- war service record and it shows the medals received were:

1914/15 star No N/6? The British War Medal No 65218 and the Victory Medal No 62897. There are not any Australian Medals. Why would this be.

Love the forum

Dee Hart :huh:

Dee

I note that you have followed the Mounted Units prompts from the AWM site. The 8th couldn't see that far ahead though, and didn't sail o/s till 1915 :D

Other prompts should take you to Service Medals, or if not try www.anzacday.org.au

The medals you mentioned are for service in the Australian, which formed part of the British, forces.

Bye

Guest deepathart

Thanks Bonza onya.

My typo mistake. Will try that site.

Reason I want to know what British units were there was that - true or untrue -

he met up with his brother, my grandfather. But I don't think Grandad fought the Turks. I really think it was a figment of someones imagination, but would like to check.

Regards

Dee

Dee

Best of British (luck) in your quest.

There are a couple of Ausie - based Forums which googling under Lighthorse & Anzacresearch should throw up. You may get some help there.

It may be more probable that the brothers paths crossed somewhere in the back areas rather than during a particular battle, so IMHO trying to cross plot ALH & British units may be a long shot.

Some British Yeomanry were part of Chauvel's Desert Column. If you think Grandpa was with them, you might check the dates of 8th ALH engagements & look up the relevant pages of the on-line AWM Histories. They usually mention other units involved. This also applies to the Infantry, or other Branches.

Just as an aside, my dad was born in Rutherglen, Vic. MacLaurin OIC of the 8th lived there too.

Bye

Guest deepathart

Thanks Bonza - its a small small world.

My brother lives in Wagunyah and my mum in Corowa.

Will try all the avenues - I personally think it is a load of old crock or perhaps wishful thinking on their part. They had been apart for years .

Thanks for the help.

Dee

Guest deepathart

Bonza and Andrew,

Thanks for the info - I finally got Great Uncles complete war service record from Nat. Archives Australia - 46 pages -looks like good reading.

Thanks gain for your help.

Regards

Dee

Good to hear Dee!

As a break from the pure research, I would recommend that you read "The Desert Column" by Ion L Idriess. He was a trooper in the 5th ALH, and later wrote semi- historic accounts such as Lasseter's Last Ride & Flynn of the Inland.

His ALH adventures are mainly from diary entries, events are not exaggerated, but you really get a feel for the actual experiences which of course can form a background against which your research becomes more relevant. If you get the bug, there's heaps more books & articles available, and the resources of the AWM.

Dee

There's also just been a book released in Australia called 'Goodbye Cobber, God Bless You' by John Hamilton.

I have not read it myself yet but have been informed that it centres on the 8th Light Horse & the Nek at Gallipoli.

It might be of interest to you.

Cheers

Andrew

Now where do you think the title came from Andrew?

Perhaps your good self & Trooper Rush deserve some credit.

Just another opportunity to mention the decimation [yes I said decimation] of the 8th & 10th Light Horse at the Nek.

Guest deepathart

Thanks Guys,

Read Flynn of the Inland many years ago, after I got back from the Alice, but now will read it again it might have a lot more meaning.

Reading the medical history of Great Uncle really opened my eyes - didn't eat his carrots, but apparently acted like a rabbit ;)

Regards to you both

Dee

Must admit to being puzzled by references to rabbits & by the 46 page Personal Record. The penny finally dropped.

During the summer of 1918, the ALH occupied the Jordan Valley, one of the most climatically & medically unpleasant places on God's Earth, even in that year of terrible conflict.

To survive the extreme heat, they excavated underground possies by burrowing into cliffs etc. No doubt carrots, if available, would have been at a premium, and a logical commodity for the black marketeers. Should anyone succumb to the practice of trading their carrot ration to satisfy a gambling addiction;... perhaps we should apply a little compassion and not be judgemental.

Know wot eye meen?

• 4 weeks later...
There are a couple of Ausie - based Forums which googling under Lighthorse & Anzacresearch should throw up. You may get some help there.

Hi Bonza,

Could you point me in the right direction for these? Especially those re Light Horse.

Thanks mate.

RObbie

G'day Robbie.

OK so you have now got 3 stripes! But to earn them in certain armies one may have to pay a little more attention to detail. Have you ever been sent back to do it from the beginning.

This time you get a slight reprieve. Go back to Andrew P's message of 10 Sept.

For after dinner reading, Earyergocobber ;)

ooRoo

Edited by bonza

G'day Robbie.

OK so you have now got 3 stripes! But to earn them in certain armies one may have to pay a little more attention to detail. Have you ever been sent back to do it from the beginning.

This time you get a slight reprieve. Go back to Andrew P's message of 10 Sept.

READ IT. Then at your leisure, click onto his name & check out the "posts by this member"

For after dinner reading, Earyergocobber

Got it thanks. Any other good Aussie forums?

The Earyergocobber link seems to be broken.

Robbie

Well at least your quick,

So I made a blue, nobody's perfect. sorted now

Reel little Oliver Twist aren't you. remember the sox n jox bit?

Anyway if youre a reel ocker ex-pat why arent ya on-line to the ABC's Australia All Over at the present time. At least I can listen in & cross swords with you at the same time.

Have fun

Pat

Anyway if youre a reel ocker ex-pat why arent ya on-line to the ABC's Australia All Over at the present time. At least I can listen in & cross swords with you at the same time.

Have fun

Pat

Thanks Bonza. Bit late in the day over here. Did you enjoy it?

Robbie

That's gratitude!

Give a sand-groper a wrap, and they ignore you completely!

See old dogs CAN learn new trix. [Thanks to Her Indoors]

In Dig Nant

That's gratitude!

In Dig Nant

Like your new Avatar, Bonza.

Robbie

Bet your grandpa was tempted to give the deed poll a go. Still What's in a name, even if it aint spelt the same.

Avatars are easier to change than surnames. Hope to keep this one, the 1st Div Memorial, near Tommy's Bar Poziers.

ooRoo

Pat

Bet your grandpa was tempted to give the deed poll a go. Still What's in a name, even if it aint spelt the same.

Yes. He must have been teased no end, poor fella.

robbie

That's gratitude!

In Dig Nant

Sorry Pat, wasn't intentional, just forgot to turn off my 'Ignore Victorians' device :D

just forgot to turn off my 'Ignore Victorians' device :D

Do the Dockers a favour while youre about it.

Nick over to Soobie & turn theirs off.

That way they MIGHT learn sumfin about footy & eventually make the finals!

ooROO's mate