The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Raid on Zeebrugge

Guest prww38

I have the medals and documents of a Frank Donovan'who took part in the Raid on Zeebrugge.

His number was F19971 and was in Royal Naval Air Service as an Air Mechanic.

The annotation on the paragraph " Wounds received in Action and Special recommendations" reads

"Participated in ballot for the award of the Victoria Cross granted for operations against Zeebrugge and Ostend on the night of 22nd/23rd April 1918(London Gazette 23rd July 1918)"

In the Cartain's Signature column there is the note:

" Inserted at Admiralty No 9A N P S O 18856 initialled CGA 5/1/21

Can anyone explain what this entry means please.

best regards

Peter White

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Peter,

I strongly suggest to purchase the DVD of the well-known British Television series "World War 1 in Colour". In it's special feature film, there is a large scene all in three-dimensional graphics and documents speaking about the Raid on Zeebridge. It is strongly recommended.

-Doughboy

(2,000th post in this forum)

Hello Peter,and welcome to the forum.

I have seen a really good documentary,i think on channel 5(UK),recently,about the Zeebrugge raid.

It was a bit like the St Nazaire Raid,during WW2,where they used old Destroyers to blow up a dry dock.

The idea was to stop the U-Boats coming out into the Atlantic,from the Belgian coast

They used blockships in the harbour,and The RND,raided the port.

There were quite a few VC's,awarded that night,though i can't remember the exact amount.

The interesting thing,is the fact he was RNAS.

No Aircraft carriers around at the time(i know i have just slipped up,because i remember reading about the first flight off a converted battleship),so i wonder if he served aboard one of the covering vessels,maybe a battleship,or large cruiser.

I believe they had float-planes,on board,at this time.

Look forward to hearing more,Peter.

Sounds like you have an interesting one there.

All the best,and good hunting.

Simon Furnell.

The London Gazette

http://www.gazette-online.co.uk/ww1.asp?webType=0

has 2 reports on the Ostend and Zeebrugge raids

on Wednesday 19 February 1919 pages 2519-2542

and Tuesday 27 August 1918 on pages 10083-92

PETER

Through your local library you may be able to get hold of a copy of,..THE BLOCKING OF ZEEBRUGGE...by Captain Alfred F.B. Carpenter.V.C. R.N. Published by Herbert Jenkins in,I think 1921.It has an introduction by Admiral Earl Beatty.I bought this book in 2002 and have yet to get to read it .However a rough perusal does shoe that it is a worthwhile book for lots of information about the raid.I have had a look for your man and have found no mention of him.I will now read the book and let you know if he turns up.

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

Evening all.

In an old American paperback,that i have,i found a section on the Zeebrugge raid.

It is a condensed version,of chapters 7,8 and 9,of a book called"Zeebrugge",by Barrie Pitt.

The paperback was printed in 1965,so i doubt if this book is still in print now(excuse to spend hours in an old book shop),but it would be very interesting,reading,i would think.

In the account,it mentions a Wing-Commander Brock.

It seems he was a bit of a Barnes-Wallis type,and had rigged up all types of"Pyrotechnics",for the assault,including flame-throwers on The Vindictive,to take out German gun positions on the Mole.

He wanted to try out a new type of Phosphorus Grenade he had worked out,in action,and was also interested in a German range finder,that was in an emplacement on the Mole.

He handed over command of his inventions,on The Vindictive,to his assistant,Graham Hewlett,and went,by gang plank,onto the mole.

He then advanced,through heavy fire,250yds,and got to the range finder.

He then started dismantling it,with spanners that he had in his pockets.

Casualties were high,and not many of the men who were with him,walked out of there.

But in the account,is something that may be of interest,Peter.

When Wing-Commander Brock left the ship,he was accompanied by one of his Air Mechanics.

I am not sure if Brock got the VC(it doesn't say in the text),but he should have done,and it doesn't mention the name of the Air Mechanic(i am afraid),but it could be your man was involved in the actions of him winning it,and may be the man,mentioned in the text,that left the ship with him.

Strange thing is,that you have a Wing-Commander running a kind of Special forces Group,by the sound of it,and it doesn't say wether he was RAF,or RNAS.

Did the RNAS,have Wing Commanders at this time,or was it just the RAF,and why were Air Mechanics,in action,with Royal Marines,on a huge raid like this?

More questions than answers,i'm afraid Pete.

All the best.

Simon.