The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mentioned in Despatches

SteveE

I have an obituary to the above named soldier which suggests he was twice mentioned in despatches in addition to the award of the Military Medal.

I'm convinced I have already checked the MID entries at the NA and not found him there (although I could have missed him I suppose), nor has a search of the London Gazette website thrown up any leads.

Is it possible that not all MID's were recorded in the Gazette? If so where can I go now?

Furthermore should the MIC show the award of the Oak Leaf emblem for MID?

As always any and all help gratefully received.

Steve

Mentions are usually Gazetted; The Index Cards generally refer to MiDs as "Emblems",have you tried searching the Gazettes Online just using the surname,or a different spelling?,in case the entries are on split lines,Sometimes however Soldiers reportedly "Mentioned" in local Press{& elsewhere,School Journals etc;} reports turn out not to be so

Steve,

If it is any help, there is no listing of an MiD awarded to this soldier in the Honours and Awards section of the regimental history.

Marc

Many thanks guys.

Marc, you've confirmed what I was suspecting (and which was also suggested) which is that he wasn't actually 'mentioned' at all and that it was simply a bit of creativity in the writing of the obituary.

Cheers again.

Steve