The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Somme Mud

PercyJamesFellows

This is a book written by Private Edward Lynch of the 45th Battalion of the AIF. It documents the life of Nulla (who many believe Lynch based on himself) from 1916 to 1919. It is drawn from Lynch's memoirs and was typed up while he was the Commanding Officer of the New South Wales Jungle Training School during WW2. It has been compared to Remarque's All Quiet On the Western Front. It's a thoroughly good read, it has also been edited by historian Will Davies. It has some racist remarks that would have been common place at the time. I would recommend you read this book with all my heart.

It is a very interesting and gripping read. It's interesting too that but for his family finding it and publishing it we may have missed one of the most amazing accounts of the life of a very brave man who survived the war against fantastic odds. Fascinating to follow his exploits carrying out most likely one of the most dangerous and hair raising jobs a soldier can do. Then he went on to lead a worthwhile long and interesting life despite the effect his war service must have had on his mind.

Agree a good book, some deviation from the truth has been identified by thoise in the know and descrepencies are identified in the companion book, as above.

What fired me up was reading about fritzs Folly and then going to the exact location and using Linesman to walk the trenches / features was great.....be waerned if you go visitig in winter its bleak and unforgiving if caught in a storm!

TT

wow. really didnt expect this much of a response. what prompted me to do this was im re-reading the book. It is great someone found this because otherwise like you said, it would have gone unnoticed. might get the companion version

Yes certainly worth the read, a bit if an eye opener. I enjoyed it thoroughly regards Robert

Super book. Thanks CGM, did not realise about the companion book. A must buy.

Susan

Agreed! An excellent personal account of the war. His account of body recovery and battlefield clearance near Delville Wood is very sobering indeed. Another excellent book in this category, being an account of an Australian soldier is: Backs to the Wall by GD Mitchell. Iain.

Both books are a cracking good read. I took a copy of Somme Mud with me on a recent visit to the Somme and often found myself in their footsteps. The books have been debated on this 'ere forum quite a bit. A search should bring up the thread(s)