The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

28th Bn.(North-West) CEF

Derek Robertson

Here is a photograph of a section of members of the 16th Platoon, "D"-Company 28th Battalion (North-West), C.E.F

Is there anyone who can add information from looking at the photograph? e.g can the uniforms give us an approximate date for the taking of the picture etc?

My hunch is that it is an early 1915 photograph possibly taken in this country before the battalion were posted to France in September 1915.

The soldier with the X above his head is my Great-grandfather John P.Robertson who somehow managed to survive 4 years with this splendid battalion.

post-2-1094897471.jpg

Derek, even though the 29th was far more splendid than the 28th, I'll add my thoughts. :P

I'm not very good at this, but they seem to be wearing 7-button tunics and some have the leather Oliver equipment. So this would place this early in the period; I think you're estimate is likely correct.

Joe Sweeney is the expert on such matters; hope he sees this.

Derek, even though the 29th was far more splendid than the 28th, I'll add my thoughts. :P

post-2-1094919258.gif

Derek

I do agree with Broznitski that the picture is early. The 25th which was part of the brigade was issued web equiptment on Sept. 6 1915, 9 days before going to France. I have a number of Pictures of the 25th wearing the same equiptment, one is as they were marching to the Saxonia which took them to England on May 20 1915. Most of the pictures I have are 1915 in date I hope this helps.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.