The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

6th Manchesters.

Bob Coulson

Would anyone have any details of the actions of the 6th Manchesters on Gallipoli on August 6th & 7th 1915.

Particularly looking for any mention of Captain Arthur John Walker who was attached from the Yorkshires and was KIA at the age of 19.

Grateful for any help.

Bob.

According to "British Regiments At Gallipoli" by Westlake it states:

1/8/15 - Relieved 1/8th Manchesters in the firing line east of Krithia Nullah

4/8/15 - Relieved by 1/8th Manchesters

7/8/15 - Took part in attack on trenches G12A, G13, G11A, G12D. Reported 10.50am first and second assaults successful, trench G10A strongly held. Fell back after heavy counter attack 7.15pm.

12/8/15 Releived by 1/8th Battalion.

I have the war diary somewhere so I'll see if I can any more info. The attacks at Helles during the 6th and 7th August were basically diversionery attacks made in conjuntion with those at Anzac to allow the British landing at Suvla Bay.

Walker is buried in Redoubt Cemetery if you didn't know already.

regards, Steve

Bob,

Here is the complete westlake entry:

AUGUST

Relieved 1/8th Manchester in firing line east of Krithia Nullah (lst). Relieved by 1/8th Manchester (4th). Took part in attack on trenches G 12A, G13, G11A, G12D (7th). Reported 10.50 a.m. first and second assaults successful, trench G10A strongly held. Fell back after heavy counter attack 7. 15 p.m. Lieutenant-General Sir William Marshall in his book Memories of Four Fronts referred to the 1/6th Manchester as "that fine battalion" and records how it seized the Turkish redoubt in the nullah. The Battalion then held its gains . . . "until they were practically annihilated." Relieved 1/8th Manchester in firing line east of Krithia Nullah (12th). Relieved by 1/5th King's Own Scottish Borderers in Wigan Road and Redoubt Line (13th) then to rest camp. To firing line (19th).

and some extracts from the war diary:

Aug 1 A & B Redoubt line east of Nullah

Aug 2 To firing line

Aug 3 All Quiet

Work in Turkish trench NW of vineyard

Aug 5 Instructed in bomb throwing

Aug 6 Assault H trenches by 29th Division and 1/5th Manchesters

Not very successful

Aug 7 6th & 8th Manchesters ordered to take

G12 1st objective G13 2nd objective

In position 7am

Bombardment 8.10 am

Interval 9.10am

1st assault 9.40 am

I am researching L/Cpl Fred Hahn of the 6th Manchesters who was mortally wounded in this action. Taking a look at John Hartley's website may well pay dividends, as many of his men served with the 6th.

Interesting reading this thread. It raises 2 questions for me, if anyone knows the answers: does anyone have any info on 1/8 Lancs Fusiliers who were in same attack on the vineyard? additionally, does anyone know what happened to those poor souls who were taken prisoner? my great uncle was one of those, died as POW 18 months later in Turkey, but I haven't managed to find any info. Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

Bob

I have a copy of the war diar. If you need a copy, please email or PM me with your postal address. I don't think the copy I have is good enouhg to scan, but I should be abale to get a photocopy off it.

It mentions that, on 5 August, Capt Walker returned from hospital. Of more interest is the entry for the morning of the 6th - "The enemy bombardment was tremendous and even before the first assault we had a good many casualties in the trenches. Captains Hunter and Walker were killed."

This is my "standard" website write up for that day. We had four local men killed, including Alexander Milne and Tom (Worthington) referred to in the narrative)

"On 6 August, the 5th Manchesters had taken part in an unsuccessful attack and it was now the turn of the 6th. This attack would become known as the Battle of the Vineyard. The troops were in position by 7am. The Turkish Army was obviously prepared for another assault and was shelling the British position. The Battalion War Diary notes that “even before the first assault, we had a good many casualties in the trenches”. Leading the attack would be “C” Company, which included Tom and his friend Alexander Milne. At 9.40, they left the trench and reached the Turkish front line, some 70 yards away. There were many casualties – some had got no more than 20 yards before being mown down by machine gun fire. Private F Ollerenshaw, “C” Company, described it in a letter published in the Stockport Advertiser “We were all ready on the ladders and steps and, when the word came, we went up together and ran as fast as we could”

Fierce fighting took place in the Turkish trench and the War Diary records that Tom was “badly wounded in trench – now missing”. It was also noted that “Lieut Milne fired 4 shots with his revolver into a redoubt where they were bombing our men and was then shot in the head”. Private Ollerenshaw wrote” We had only one officer left by this time and as we were being bombed from the sap on the left and the trench was being searched by shrapnel, it became imperative that we should move. The officer jumped up onto the top of the trench but was immediately hit and fell back. Then a few of us tried to get over but another burst of shrapnel came and about three were left standing. The man next to me was killed outright, shot in the head.”

By now, “B” and “D” Companies had also advanced but were subject to heavy fire and very few managed to join the men of “C” Company. By 11am, it was very clear that the Turkish positions were strongly held and were being re-enforced still further. A few minutes later, the troops were driven out of the trenches they had captured and were forced back to their starting point, by 11.15.

Over half the Battalion had become casualties – killed, missing or wounded. Amongst the 75 dead, were four men from this area."

John

John,

I don't need a copy of the war diary really, the extra info I needed is in your post detailing the actions that day.

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to look this up.

Very grateful.

Bob.