The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CWGC Nurse died in SA

leigh

Hi,

This sister has cropped up in my research.

From the CWGC she must have been an Australian nurse who died in South africa.

AMY PARROTT CWGC

Any one have any ideas of avenues I could go down to find out a bit more about her ?

Many regards

Leigh

AWM Commemorative Roll

http://www.awm.gov.au/database/croll.asp

Parrott, Amy Maud Augusta

Service Number:

Unit: Volunteer Aid Detachment

Service: Allied Forces

Conflict: 1914-1918

Date of Death: 24/10/1918

Place of Death:

Cause of Death:

Age at Death: 37

Cemetery or Memorial Details: SOUTH AFRICA 53. Johannesburg (Brixton New) Cemetery. E.C. 2219

Next of Kin: Daughter of Col. and Mrs T.S. Parrott, of Sydney, NSW, Australia

will do Terry, thanks

and thanks also Christine.

Regards

L.

Leigh

Suggest you try www.awm.gov.au

Take Link to Search our Collections

Type in Parrott.

This will detect private records of the good Colonel & His daughter.

Co-incidently it will throw up a photo of some typical aussies, that Auimfo & Marina had a bit of fun with some time back.

Thanks again to all for responses.

Will look into the Aus records first I think.

Regards

Leigh

Leigh, I cannot help you with this one over and above CWGC information and the fact that she is on the Australian Commemorative Roll. I have checked out the AWM collections for WW1 and cannot see anything. If you find out anything I shall be grateful to hear from you. Also if anyone is going to Jo'burg I should love to have a picture of her grave headstone, Jim Strawbridge

Jim,

there is this biography which I have mailed the AWM to find out how big it might be before I comit to asking for it.

ID Number: 2DRL/0685

Title: Parrott Family (1st Camel Corps; 1st Sth African Infantry)

Object type: Biographical notes

Summary: BIOGRAPHICAL DETAILS OF COL T S PARROTT, SGT/MAJ H F PARROTT, QM/SGT J H PARROTT, CAPT A K PARROTT, SISTER AMY PARROTT, AND PTE S C B PARROTT. SOUTH AFRICAN AND 1ST WORLD WAR SERVICE

I will get back to you if I find anything out. I am interested as she is the only women on my list :)

Regards

Leigh

• 4 weeks later...

Jim,

I have recieved the info from the AWM.

Eldest daughter of Col T.S.Parrott, VD, FGS, MRSA Hon associate of the order of St John of Jerusalem.

Sister Amy Parrott (Polly)

Born in Sidney. Educated at Lolaville Ladies College Raudwick. On taking up her abode in S Africa took up nursing & on the outbreakof the great war 1914 - 1918, enlisted with the S African troops as a nurse & went right through th War. On returning home an epidemic of pnemonic influenza broke out in Johannesburg. She at once offered her services, caught the dreaded disease & died in three days at the age of 29. SHE WAS ACCORDED A mILITARY FUNERAL.

Regards

leigh

Thank you Leigh. Most appropriate that Amy Maud Parrott should have been known within the family as Polly. With roots in Australia I wonder why she moved to South Africa to live. Also the CWGC gives her age as 37 whilst the AWM gives it as 29. What I need now is a photo of the headstone. Any forum members out in Jo'burg able to oblige? Jim Strawbridge

It could be a different person but how many Amy Parrott's working as a nurse with war graves can there be? :)

The Biography says her father, Col Parrott was a 'Civil engineer, Scientist, Literature, Soldier and Citizen'. In the 1860's he was engaged in pioneering nad exploring Western Queensland. he worked as a Government surveyor in Victoria then went on to form the trigonometrical branch of the survey department. In 1872 he attached himself to the corps of Engineers NS Wales military forces.

A few years later he invented the 'Sematrope' the forrunner of the Heliograph. In the late 70's he was involved in the bringing about of local self government, initiating the Surveyors institute, and was involved in a proposal for the introduction of technical education in NS Wales.

He 'devoted considerable time to find a suitable material in the colony for teh manufacture of a Portland cement'.

In 1885 he was apponinted engineering officer on the staff of the NS Wales contingent and sent to the Eastern Soudan. He carried out work for Sir Gerald Graham and recieved a letter of thanks from the Ministry of War, England.

He visited Europe and the states writing a report on the subject of costal defences.

In 87-88 he introduced hydraulic power in lifts in Sydney. 88-90 he 'lent considerable assistance' to the st Johns ambulance .

After the commencement of hostilities in SA he was sent as a Special Service Officer in the 2nd contingent that arrived there in the troopship Surrey from NS Wales. On arrival he formed and commanded the Australian Pioneers and reieved high commendation from many people.

'In private practice in this state Col Parrott had much to do with the development of coal, gold and coppermines'

On the outbreak of the great war due to his age he was kept for home service and Transport on SA.

I guess that Amy Maud just went out there with him. There also seems to have been lots of connections in the family to the Red cross and ST Johns ambulance which will probably have been her reason for being a nurse.

Many regards

Leigh

So I guess

Just for info, The biography also inludes

Sgt Major Harrie Frank Parrott, 1st Camel corps, Anzac mounted div. (eldest son of Col Parrott)

*****Sgt J H Parrott (2nd Eldest)

Capt A R Parrott (3rd eldest)

Pte ACB Parrott (4th Eldest)

The final page says....

Medals and Decorations won by the Parrott Family

Eigyptian Medal

Khedive Star

S Africa Kings (with 6 bars)

S Africa Queens (with 6 bars)

Volunteer decoration

Grand order of St John

1914 Star

Victory medal

Service Medal

So if any one knows the whereabouts of any of these :D

or any other medals, papers, plaques etc with the name P*rr*TT (sub the * with a vowel)

Regards

Leigh

G'day

Someone should get the Film Rights to the story NOW!

Polly would get star billing of course, but what an opportunity for some unknown to play the role of youngest son, ACB.

Having such a credential father and attaining the rank of Private. There HAS to be a story. Mel Gibson can't of heard about him.

Pat

Pat

I have a few Super 8 cine camera's hows about we make it ourselves? :P

L.