The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Going back to 1914 anyone?

Jim Hastings

Good evening all,

Just finished a hefty study package, final extended assignment posted off yesterday, and decided to catch up on some of the GW programmes I had recorded while studying. Watched Peter Barton and the Somme's Secret Tunnels, and Peter stated how every discovery was making the team realise how much they really did not know about the GW and how much they were learning. Got me thinking: my GW reading has been sporadic, not very chronological and I realised I had big gaps in my knowledge, so decided to do something about it - rearranged my books in chronological order as best as possible and am going to start reading, and re-reading those I've already read, from 1914 onwards...

So starting with 'Farewell Leicester Square - The Old Contemptibles 12 August - 20 November 1914' by Kate Caffrey and really hooked, very well written. Following this will be Lyn MacDonald and Malcolm Brown's 1914 and some particular battle books. Then will move onto 1915 and onwards

Anyone else gone back to reading 1914 books? Or following a similar path?

Enjoy your reading all

Jim

Thank you Jules

It's nice to be able to read what I want for the first time in years!!!

Good luck with both the assignment and the chronological reading list Jim.

I tried the latter last year. I was determined to study Ypres in some semblance of order. I did well with 1914, but it went awry after that. I've virtually jumped straight to Sept / Oct 1918, for which I'm struggling to find material - any suggestions from anyone? (It must be bargain basement though)

Phil

Many thanks Phil,

Is it a general history of the last few months of the war you are after? Blackmaria may be able to confirm, but sure there is a memoir by a Lanc Fusilier called Fred Hodges (?) called '18 in 1918' or something very similar, may help?

Thanks Jim,

I've just ordered the 1p copy. I also picked up Mr Hart's tome at a very good price a while ago.

Phil

Malcolm Brown also did a very good 1918 book Phil, another cheap one,

Peter Hart's is great, even got it on audio CD

Interesting thread....If I understand this correctly this is about reading about chronological events rather than the chronological order that these events were written about... I would be Very interested in anyone 's thoughts on how perceptions changed, especially revisionist views on single events or periods of war as time progressed. I have read about the Retreat From Mons in detail (for example) and the appreciation of events seems to have gone through a cycle of perceptions and counter-arguments ...and now counter-counter arguments.

MG

From a War Diary.

1st November 1914-Intimation received by Telegram at 5 p.m. that the Battalion has to leave for service abroad.

2nd November 1814-Notice that the Battalion was to leave Scotland by special train in the evening.

3rd November 1914-Arrived Southampton between 9 & 10 a.m.

4th November 1914-Marched to Docks and embarked at 6.15 p.m. for Havre.

5th November 1914-Arrived at Havre.At 11 p.m. orders received to entrain at 4 am.destination unknown.

6th November 1914-Entrained but did not leave Havre till 8.a.m. and travelled all day and the following night.

7th November 1914.Arrived at St Omer at 8.50 a,m.

8th November 1914-Inspection of the Battalion in field work.

9th November 1914-Instruction in latest methods of entrenching."and Battalion passed fit to go forward"(my precis).next morning.

10th November 1914-Marched to Billets and remained over night.

11th November 1914-Marched to Merris and reported to 22nd Infy Bde.

12th November 1914-Inspection by B.G.C.

13th November 1914-Inspection by Comdg.7th Division.

14th November 1914-Brigade marched via Sailly to Fleurbaix..

15th November 1914-Battalion furnished digging party for Battalions holding the trenches.Sgt.was killed while with working party.

16th November 1914-Battalion inspected by Commander 4th Army Corps.Companies went into the trenches with 1st R.W.Fusiliers and 2nd R.W.Regiment.The remaining Companies furnished nightly working parties.

17th November 1914-Sudden severe frost following on wet weather resulted in a number of cases of frostbitten feet.

20th November 1914-Companies in trenches relieved.

George

Morning Martin,

It was more working through the war chronologically, as before now I have 'jumped about' time- and battle-wise, although what an excellent thought regarding change of perception - maybe I should organise my reading into the year they were written too, as this would show the changes in academic thought - great idea. I also plan to follow the 2nd Royal Sussex WD throughout alongside - obviously they were not in every engagement, but to see the 'big picture' of their war

Many thanks

Jim

Guest exuser1

After exploring the sites of the retreat last year I went through the usual books ,also I Was There ,and Walter Blooms book was a very interesting insight , my interest being spurred by having a grandfather in the 4th Hussars who was involved in the retreat .

I have just started in on a book of rare brilliance and will attempt a full review later. This is The Sleepwalkers: How Europe went to War in 1914 by Christopher Clark from Cambridge University, who has previously written the history of Prussia and a book about the Kaiser. I thought that I was reasonably informed about this subject, but it only took two chapters of this masterly account to make me realise that I did not know the ten percent of it, never mind the half. Strongly recommended.

Jack

Thanks Jack,

Must admit I saw the title a few months ago and thought 'oh another one on the outbreak' - I had to read a lot on it for my degree - but now you've said that and if you recommend it then it is a defo to read.

Thank you for the heads-up

Did you find it relatively easy to track your grandfathers war in 1914?

All the best

Jim

Well you will probably be much better informed than I was when I set out on it, Jim, but I still think that you will be impressed by the depth of scholarship and mastery of the sources he displays. I shall be interested in your opinion later. Jack

Thank you Jack, I had the really good fortune of hearing Annika Mombauer lecture on it, fascinating. She openly admitted, as did my main lecturer, that they had changed their opinions about the outbreak at least three times. With your recommendation, its on my read-list

Very many thanks

Jim

Guest exuser1

Thanks Jack,

Must admit I saw the title a few months ago and thought 'oh another one on the outbreak' - I had to read a lot on it for my degree - but now you've said that and if you recommend it then it is a defo to read.

Thank you for the heads-up

Did you find it relatively easy to track your grandfathers war in 1914?

All the best

Jim

Jim yes as i had his diarys from the retreat ,they are on the forum and amazingly found my Grandads brothers grandson who now lives in Canada through the forum ,he had published his diarys on the site previous , it apears both brothers agreed to keep diarys when in France ,in fact both were wounded with in a day , its planned that the 2 Grandsons will visit on the centenary of the actions of 1914 , and if me dads still about drag him over as well !

I've virtually jumped straight to Sept / Oct 1918, for which I'm struggling to find material - any suggestions from anyone?

If it is Flanders you mean, Phil - there is very little. Official History, 29th and 36th Divisional histories have some good coverage but outside that you'll struggle. That is, until my "The Battle for Flanders volume II - final German defeat in 1918" (or some such title) is finished!

. That is, until my "The Battle for Flanders volume II - final German defeat in 1918" (or some such title) is finished!

Look forward to that Chris.

Might there be some useful Canadian and Australian books/war diaries that might be useful. I'm not sure which units, but am guessing there were parts of the Anzac and Canadian Corps involved?

Mike

If it is Flanders you mean, Phil - there is very little. Official History, 29th and 36th Divisional histories have some good coverage but outside that you'll struggle. That is, until my "The Battle for Flanders volume II - final German defeat in 1918" (or some such title) is finished!

Yes Chris, Flanders is my main interest. What I would like to see is a couple of weighty volumes that would put my own very limited and specific research into context and offer some analysis of the final months. I'm looking forward to your latest contribution and if Jack could consider something similar from the German standpoint. I would be even happier.

Phil

PS Apologies Jim for taking over your thread somewhat

Phil

I have been gathering information for a long time, but it is well down the 'to do' list, simply because it will be very tricky to write objectively. Much information is fragmentary and, not surprising, those who surrendered too easily or otherwise dropped out of the order of battle were reticent about writing up their stories. However I am aware that I shall eventually owe the readership something on the final four months.

Jack

Thanks Jack,

I can see the dilemna that they faced and the problem it presents for your research, but a glimmer of hope.

Phil