The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Going back to 1914 anyone?

Jim Hastings

Yes Chris, Flanders is my main interest. What I would like to see is a couple of weighty volumes that would put my own very limited and specific research into context and offer some analysis of the final months. I'm looking forward to your latest contribution and if Jack could consider something similar from the German standpoint. I would be even happier.

Phil

PS Apologies Jim for taking over your thread somewhat

No apologies necessary at all Phil :thumbsup: , it's great to hear what is in the planning - I'm very interested in 2 RSR and am looking forward to getting a good insight into their war Sep - 4th Nov 1918 at Sambre canal. Can appreciate what Jack was saying about German sources for that period, must be very difficult!

All the best

Jim

Jim yes as i had his diarys from the retreat ,they are on the forum and amazingly found my Grandads brothers grandson who now lives in Canada through the forum ,he had published his diarys on the site previous , it apears both brothers agreed to keep diarys when in France ,in fact both were wounded with in a day , its planned that the 2 Grandsons will visit on the centenary of the actions of 1914 , and if me dads still about drag him over as well !

What a poignant visit that will be, will be brilliant

• 4 months later...

I'm currently reading Christopher Clark's Sleepwalkers. 60 pages in. What a book! I prided myself on pretty decent knowledge of the causes of the war. I now feel as if I knew nothing. Stunningly well written book which is both scholarly and readable.