The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

8th Batt Royal Sussex

Amy Kitcher

Hi, Can anyone help please??

From my Gt Gt Grandfathers service papers I have managed to extract the following info

9th Sept 1914

Enlists

27th Feb 1915

Receives commission (QM Serg)

23rd May 1915

Left Le Havre and sailed to Southampton for a week's leave, on the Normannia

He served with the 8th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment, but I am a little confused. I was under the impression that the 8th Batt RSR didn't arrive in France until 25th May 1915, so how could he leave France two days before he was supposed to arrive??

Any info about the 8th Battalion RSR in the early statges of the war would also be most welcome.

Thanks

Amy

Hello Amy

As he was Quartermaster Segeant, I'd imagine he went ahead of the main unit to arrange billets etc. Alternatively, he may have been serving with a different battalion at this time (The medal roll should clarify this).

Regards

Gavin

(Incidently, a Quartermaster Sergeant was a Non-Commissioned Rank)

The 8th Battalion were Pioneers to the 18th (Eastern) Division and did not arrive in France until 24th July 1915. If he landed in May, he must have been with another battalion. The 7th arrived on 31st May, but the 2nd and 1/5th (Cinque Ports) were already there.

Where have you got this information from?

There are some photos of the 8th Bn on the Royal Sussex part of my website at:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/sussexphotos.htm

I found some of his records at the PRO (ref. WO 339/22656). Amongst other things they contain his attestation papers.

It also mentions that he was stationed at the No. 8 Infantry Base Depot, Le Havre. Could he have been transferred here after, recieving his commission?

If he was a Quarter Master Sergeant, then he wasn't commissioned. Why do you think he was commission?

Out of interest, can you post his name and details, and I will see if I have anything on him in my files (I have researched this regiment for 25+ years).

Sorry, I'm getting my terms wrong. :(

He was QM Serg, for a few months and then QM Lieutenant.

He served with RSR from 1882 until 1903. He served in the Nile Expedition 1884-85.

And then again from 1914 until 1915. He was posted to the general list until 1917 when he died.

His name was Charles George Harry Fordham.

Here is his CWGC entry

Name: FORDHAM, HENRY GEORGE

Initials: H G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: General List

Date of Death: 29/10/1917

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Q U. 363.

Cemetery: NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE (ST. ANDREW'S AND JESMOND) CEMETERY

Amy

As a bit of an aside, I was interested to hear you mention that your great-grandfather took part in the Gordon Relief Expedition of 1884-85. The 1st Bn. Royal Sussex furnished a particularly large contingent to the Mounted Infantry Camel Regiment. This unit was part of the Camel Corps which, along with a Naval Brigade, was ordered to cross the desert directly in an effort to meet up with the steamers sent out of Khartoum by Gordon. The 1,500 strong force, under the command of Sir Herbert Stewart, fought a successful action at the wells at Abu Klea. Sadly, they were unable to reach Khartoum in time and, as they say, the rest is history........

Do you have his medals or do his papers confirm which bars he was entitled to on his Egypt Medal? If he was a member of the contingent furnished by the Royal Sussex for the Camel Corps, then he will be entitled to the bars "The Nile 1884-85" and "Abu Klea".

Hope the above is of some interest.

Kind rgds

Ed

Alas, I do not have his medals, but I do have his sedrvice papers. He was awarded the following medals.

The Nile Expedition 1884-5, Clasp The Nile 1884-85

The Khedives Bronze Star 1884-85

India Medal 1895, Clasps for the Punjab Frontier and Tirah 1897-98.

I'm not 100% sure of the medals he received for WW1, will have to dig out my file.

Hello Amy

Thanks for that. He obviously wasn't present at Abu Klea but, more than likely, was part of the main body of the Army which followed the Nile upstream towards Khartoum.

I imagine his Great War entitlement would have been the 1914-15 Star, British War and Victory medals.

Do you know if he served in South Africa during the Second Boer War (1899-1902)?

Rgds

Ed

No he didn't, he was in India at the time, with the 2nd Battalion Royal Sussex.

Amy

I will see if I have anything on him in my files (I have researched this regiment for 25+ years).

Hi paul,

Just checking in.

I don't suppose you have had a chance to look to look in your files for me??

Also, are there any books or something that you can suggest, to enable me to form a better picture of what his early army career would have been like?