The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Major C Morley

Guest scott leader

Guest scott leader

Pals

Does anybody have any details on the numbers & battle reports on the 2/Manchesters for Le Cateau, Major C Morley was a Captain when taken POW, later Major.

Any extra info on him would be great.

Thanks

Scott

Guest scott leader

Pals

I'm sure their must be some out their who holds information on the 2/Manchester for the battle of Le Cateau, on the 26th August 1914?

Their was quite a few officers take POW as well as a good number of ORs & Ptes.

Intrested in Captain/Major Cecil Morley as well as the battalion.

Thanks

Scott

There were four 2/Manchester officers taken PoW at Le Cateau:

Morley

Lt Burrows

Capt Wymer

Capt Miller

In addition 5 officers were killed in action

Capt Fowke

Capt Mansergh

Lt Brodribb

Capt & Adjt Nisbet

Capt Trueman

Only 340 men answered the role at Maretzy, but more stragglers rejoined the battalion later. If you're in the North West, the Regimental Archives in Stalybridge local studies library has the war diary, but it is not necessarily the most clear and helpful document you'll ever read!

Cheers

Forgot to mention that also at Stalybridge is an OR's account of his treatment as a prisoner after the battle. Statement taken after repatriation. Pte Collins I think is his name if memory serves.

Cheers

Couple of things strike me: one is the exonerated officers' list. That suggests to me that there should be a prisoner of war file on him in WO 161 - there is an index to these on the main site that I haven't looked at.

Disembarkation date of 16/8/14 - 2nd Manchesters disembarked at Le Havre on 16th and 17th August, so he was with the battalion from the very start of their service. Hence he is eligible for 'Clasp and Roses' to the 1914 Star.

The symbol by 'Major' means I think that that rank is what is engraved on his medals.

Other than that, I think the references are to the rolls compiled by the battalion. If you visit the National Archives then these can be converted to WO329 references (if I remember rightly) and see the rolls.

Cheers

Guest scott leader

Thanks mate.

Their are no service papers for him or any other file, which is a bit odd!!

Although I'm told he might have served in west Africa around 1901-08?

Thnaks Again :)

In Hart's Army List for 1903 he is down asa Lieutenant, serving with Gambia Company, West African Field Force. No mention of dates from and to, I'm afraid but he was certainly back with 2nd Battalion by April 1911 (the next Army List I can get hold of!).

It is quite possible for no file to survive as some officers' files were destroyed in the same way as those for other ranks in 1940 - there are a few officers who died during the war that I have looked up and found zilch!

Cheers

Guest scott leader

At last I can confirm that he did service in Africa, "Gambia Company"?? Can you explaine more on this or the West Africa Field Force?

Any info in Army list?

Thanks

'Fraid that's the limit on my knowledge!

Might be worth starting a new thread on this subject though - for many lieutenants and captains WAFF may have been their best chance of getting some active service in before the Great War. It would be interesting to know if this acted as some kind of 'fast track' given the high officer casualties in 1914. Although obviously not for Morley as he was in the can! Do you have a particular interest in Morley?

Cheers