The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

9th Battalion East Surrey's (24th Div) 1917

Guest tonylondon

Guest tonylondon

Hi Everyone!

I'm a newbie who lost his Grandfather on August 5th, 1917. I'm looking for ANY info on the 9th Battalion East Surrey's (part of 24th Division) around this time. I believe he was killed in the vicinity of JEHOVAH TRENCH, near Shrewsbury Forest (to the south of Ypres).

Also, with his name being enscribed upon the Menin Gate memorial, I wondered if the Last Post ceremony can be booked in his honour? I have been to Ypres before (1986), and would like to make another visit next month (October). Just a simple wreath laying ceremony in his memory and honour, and of course, those other millions who died during the Great War, is what I had in mind.

Thanks.

Tony London

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Hi Tony,

One of my great-uncles was also 9th Bn East Surreys. I have most of their War Diary copied but not the period you are after. However I am more than happy to copy the relevant pages for you when I am next at the PRO.

Ian

Hi Tony

I have not got any information to hand on the 9th East Surreys but have the 8th Royal West Surreys who were in the same brigade and according to their history Jehovah trench fell to them on the 31st of July ( they were relieved on the night of August 1st)

It is possible that that grandads battlion relieved the RWS, but is also possible that he died of wounds after 72nd Brigade made their attack on the 31st. Perhaps one of the pals could shed some more light on this.

Have you checked the CGWGC website to see if he died of wounds?

Hambo

Guest tonylondon

Thank you so much Jim and Hambo. My sister and I have just booked our tickets for Ypres. We are going on the 8th October, and spending the weekend in the salient.

The great mystery for me, is that the 24th Division was relieved on the 4th August, but my grandfather was confirmed KIA on the 5th. His name is on the Menin Gate, therefore I presume his remains were not found, and has no known grave. This info I gleaned from the War Graves Commision. Maybe it was the total chaos that ensued after July 31st. I can imaging it would have been all but impossible to keep an accurate record of those who fell, where and when.

I loved the cartoons about the East Surrey's. I'm sure the Germans would have stopped to buy one, if they knew my Grandfather sold the best ice cream in Croydon, before he enlisted.

Thanks again gents. I've got to rush off to the Isle of Wight now. Will hope to have anything else you can post or think of, on my return on Monday.

From Tony and his grateful sister, Teresa.

Hi Tony

Could you give us his name as might help in finding out more information

Thanks Hambo