The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

26th Btn / Liverpool Regiment

Guest rinky

Roger,

During 1916 there was acutally no 26th Bn, The King's (Liverpool Regiment). On 1 January 1917, the 44th Provisional Bn of the TF redesignation as 26th Bn of the regiment, being the only battalion bearing that number.

This provisional battalion was formed early 1915 from TF personnel unwiling or unfit to serve overseas. Presumably it was in 9th Provisional Brigade, as that brigade was used late 1916 as nucleus for 73rd Division (a Home Defence formation). At the period of reorganisation into that division, the battalion was at Ramsgate. I am afraid there isn't more information available on that 44th Provisional Bn.

Regards,

Wienand

We know he inlisted in either late 1914 or early 1915. Is there no information available that would help us determin how he arrived into 26th Batallion in 1917? I'm guessing he was maybe considered unfit to serve overseas due to him only being 16 years old in 1914.

I think my father needs to quiz his older brother for further information, to see if he has any that might help us track down what went on.

Luckily for me (Or I wouldn't be here) he did survive the war and died in the early 1980's in Downend, Bristol, UK.

Being 16 in 1914, he may very well have been drafted into the Provisional Battalion I mentioned. If you have his full name, you can look up here if he was entitled campaign medals. That might help a little.

Good luck with your research!

Wienand