The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

William Duncombe(Duncan) Phillips

jemimajane

Now that the "Phillips" MIC's are online - can anyone advise me on my next step. I have narrowed my great uncle William Duncombe (or Duncan) Phillips down to 3 possibilities, bearing in mind the following facts:-

Known Facts :

William was born June 1889 at Clerkenwell, London (Son of George William and Louisa). Married to Emmie Dilley, pre 1914.

He had lost two fingers on one hand - pre war.

He drove a steam roller.

He survived the war - dying in 1985 at the age of 94.

Family "facts":

Saw a group of gassed soldiers in London, and this made him decide to do his bit for the war.

Went over to France with the first tanks (? at the same time or with them?)

Missed his brothers wedding in June 1919 because he was in the Army of Occupation.

The three possibilities are :

1. William D Phillips. RFA Driver. 91596 entitled to BWM & VM

2. William D Phillips. ASC Pte. M2/174574 entitled to BWM & VM

3. William D Phillips. Suffolk R (Pte 44215)/ Labour Corps 583725 entitled to BWM & VM

The other William D Phillips have been eliminated for various reasons - 2nd christian name/died/Served in Egypt/India/Balkans etc or the date of entry into war was too early.

My instinct is that he is the ASC man. If this is the case, what more can I find out about him, from what limited information I have? Any advice appreciated!

The next step would be to look at the War & Victory Medal Rolls for each of these men as these generally (but not always) had their full name written down. This would help eliminate any of the three whose middle name is not Duncombe or Duncan.

Steve

Known Facts :

William was born June 1889 at Clerkenwell, London (Son of George William and Louisa). Married to Emmie Dilley, pre 1914.

He had lost two fingers on one hand - pre war.

He drove a steam roller.

Many thanks for your reply.

There are two questions that come to mind -

Having lost two fingers (pre war) would he be considered "fit for active service"?

Were steamroller drivers used (for road making?) during the war?

I also notice that the William D Phillips in the ASC has a prefix of "M2" before his number - does this denote something to do with motor transport?