The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

With A Reservist in France, F A Boswell

Jim Hastings

Hi All, I have come across this title on Amazon and the book is subtitled as describing the battles of 1st Division up to and including the Battle of Loos. Has anyone read it (Blackmaria no doubt?) and if so could you please tell me which battalion/ brigade Boswell was with, as I am interested in 2nd Bde. Many thanks Jim

Can actually answer one of my own questions for once :thumbsup:, looks like he was in 1st Loyals, so 2nd Brigade and may be a useful read!!Many thanks for those that viewed. All the best, Jim

Hi Jim,

It's a good memoir, my Grandfather was in the 1st Loyal North Lancs in 1914 so it had extra interest for me. Another

good memoir is "From Mons to the first battle of Ypres" by J.G.W Hyndson, who was an officer in the same battalion

and covers the same time period as "With a reservist". The only problem being that it's very scarce book,there is a

copy on ABE at 85 pounds!.Saw a copy go for 12 pounds on e bay a couple of months ago,so worth looking out for.

Best wishes,

John.

(just to add that two thirds of "With a reservist" covers the period Aug-Dec 1914)

Thanks John, thought you may have read it! I look for anything 2nd Bde orientated (1 Northants, 2 KRRC, 1 Loyals, 2 Royal Sussex) as I get other perspectives on 2 Royal Sussex actions (sometimes counter-views), my main interest, that way. They all had some war!! Don't suppose you've come across any 2 RSR memoirs hidden away in your literary travels? 'With a reservist' fits in well time-wise as well, as I've taken all my reading back to 1914 and am working through the war chronologically (and learning /realising a lot more as a result, which is nice). Thanks again for passing on your expertise, happy reading and best wishes, Jim

None that spring to mind Jim, but will let you know if I come across any, although there is a really good memoir

written by an Officer of the 1st Northants that covers the same period as the other two memoirs. It is called

"The First Three Months" by Captain E.J Needham (Gale and Polden 1936),it's another rare one I am afraid, but with

the Big anniversary next year someone may choose to reprint it.

All the Best,

John.

Thanks John, good to know, especially since I have distant relatives who were 1 Northants. All the best, Jim

• 1 year later...

Hi, i have just found this site whilst searching on google for my Grandfather's book "with a reservist in France", was really surprised to find I could get a copy of his book on Amazon as the only family copy is in Australia, where my brother now lives (I live in UK), I should receive my copy from Amazon in the next couple of days and am obviously looking forward to reading it. My Grandfather went on to have another son, he already had my father and my Auntie whilst at war, he died around 1973. My Father fought in WW2 and was outrider to Montgomery, he landed on French soil just after the first lot of troops around 16th June. My Grandfather kept all my fathers letters and they make very interesting reading. My father was in the 15th Scottish Division. I am very proud of both my father and Grandfather it must have been very tough for all these men.

Hi, i have just found this site whilst searching on google for my Grandfather's book "with a reservist in France", was really surprised to find I could get a copy of his book on Amazon as the only family copy is in Australia, where my brother now lives (I live in UK), I should receive my copy from Amazon in the next couple of days and am obviously looking forward to reading it. My Grandfather went on to have another son, he already had my father and my Auntie whilst at war, he died around 1973. My Father fought in WW2 and was outrider to Montgomery, he landed on French soil just after the first lot of troops around 16th June. My Grandfather kept all my fathers letters and they make very interesting reading. My father was in the 15th Scottish Division. I am very proud of both my father and Grandfather it must have been very tough for all these men.

Hello, Your Grandfather's book is one of my favourite memoirs and very scarce in the original first edition, thank you for the additional information about him, as you may have read

above, my Grandfather was also in the 1st Loyal North Lancs in 1914.

Hi both

I've just read "From Mons to the first battle of Ypres" by J.G.W Hyndson, it is also brilliant (thanks again for the heads up John), 1st Loyals are very fortunate in the memoir writers from their ranks

All the best

Jim

Hi Jim, yes they are fortunate, I'm having a bit of a re-read of some of my 1914 memoirs and am currently reading 'Contemptible' . When I purchased my copy of

'Mons to First Ypres' i discovered it had an inscription inside from John Spread (The Machine Gun Officer) to Pam Goldie , who i assume was the widow of Lieut G.H Goldie

who was killed at the Aisne, the author stating in the book that Goldie had been reluctant to leave for France as he had only just got married, i found that quite poignant.

Best Wishes,

John.

What a wonder to discover John, must have made your day! Still looking for that long hidden 2nd Sussex memoir :blink:

Tom Donovan still has a copy from his latest catalogue. Yours for £145 in its jacket.

What a wonder to discover John, must have made your day! Still looking for that long hidden 2nd Sussex memoir :blink:

It certainly did Jim, good luck with your quest, there may well be one out there somewhere, just waiting to be published !