The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Looking for book recommendation

Bob Chandler

Have just finished reading Sidney Rogerson's "Twelve days on the Somme" which I thought was superb. With a return visit to Ieper coming up next month, I'd like to get started on something 'similar' about the Salient, I.e. Memoirs rather than a history...any recommendations? Cheers Bob

I found this the other week - With a Field Ambulance at Ypres by William Boyd (the pathologist, not the author of The Ice-cream War) http://archive.org/stream/withfieldambulan00boyduoft#page/n7/mode/2up

Also, you might enjoy Bruce Bairnsfather's Bullets and billets which culminates (if I recall correctly) in the Salient.

sJ

I'd recommend Some Desperate Glory by Edwin Campion Vaughan - the closing chapters in particular are remarkable

Many thanks for the suggestions. Have anyone come across 'A Tommy at Ypres' or 'As from Kemmel Hill'? Not sure if the latter is available actually.

Decided to go onto Amazon last night and order Bullets and Billets - however I was a bit overwhelmed by the number of editions apparently available to choose from and the difference in prices. I think this may be because some are illustrated and some not. Can anyone help recommend a reasonably priced, illustrated edition? Many thanks, Bob

Decided to go onto Amazon last night and order Bullets and Billets - however I was a bit overwhelmed by the number of editions apparently available to choose from and the difference in prices. I think this may be because some are illustrated and some not. Can anyone help recommend a reasonably priced, illustrated edition? Many thanks, Bob

I would recommend "The Bairnsfather Omnibus" compiled and edited by Mark Marsay,published by Great Northern

Publishers.Which not only contains both "Bullets and Billets and "From Mud to Mufti" but also has a very

interesting Preface which gives a potted biography of Bruce Bairnsfather.

Many thanks both. As so often, a quick referral to the forum has saved a lot of huffing and puffing on my part (my wife thanks you also!)

I've got a copy of 'As from Kemmel Hill' and can recommend it as a good read. If you are going to Ieper may I suggest that you call in the Shellhole book shop and see Patrick. If anyone has a copy for sale it will be him. I'm saying that in the hope he is still in business as I haven't been to Ieper for about 2 years now. His prices are not necessarily the best but his stock of books is, or was, quite incredible. Be prepared to spend, spend, spend. I rarely came away having spent less than 100 euros. Garth

• 3 weeks later...

I would wholeheartedly agree with Some Desperate Glory. I always have a read before I go to Tyne Cot and see the graves of his men who he writes so lovingly about,(eventually!) his happy band of brothers.

Also off the top of my head, there is Ypres 1917 by Norman Gladden and in the Cannon's Mouth by PJ Campbell.

• Admin

Another vote for Some Desperate Glory. Also Love and The Loveless by Henry Williamson, a novel forming part of his Chronicle of Ancient Sunlight. Early battles get covered in parts of Armageddon Road (Billy Congreve), War Diaries of Alexander Johnston (edited by Edwin Astill) Blood and Iron (edited by Jon Cooksey) and Massacre of the Innocents (edited by Gavin Roynon)

Michelle

Try ..Charles Douie 'The Weary Road' I found it excellent.

• Admin

Indeed it is but it isn't about the Salient which Charles is after.