The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A line in the sand

Old Tom

This interesting read has the sub-title Britain, France and the struggle that shaped the Middle East. The early part of the book deals with the Great War period and investigates the tangled web as two imperial powers carved up the region in spite of the efforts of President Wilson and T.E.Lawrence among others. Shows the politicians of the day in a less than favourable light. The results of their intrigues are, of course, still headlines, but that is rather 'off topic'

Old Tom

• 2 years later...

Just finished this.

As Old Tom indicates, the book is the account of how Britain & France carved up the Middle East, causing a raft of issues for subsequent generations - many of which remain unresolved.

"Our period" is dealt with in the first quarter of the book, with the remainder dealing with the ongoing shenanigans to 1949.

It's well researched, well written and shows neither country in any great light.

• Admin

While endorsing your review and, at the risk of straying off piste,I was amazed to see it is literally 'a line in the sand' and one of the first acts of (so called) I**I* was to bulldoze it http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2014/06/25/map-isis-hates/ The caption is 'Smashing the Sykes-Picot Border'.

Another legacy of the Great War.

Ken

The press report the technical feasibility of remaking some of the ancient artefacts that have been destroyed in that region. Probably not including the 'line'

Old Tom