The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Fromelles The Final Chapters

ShirlD

Although I have known of the work of Sandra and Tim when they first started researching the names of those who might be buried in a forgotten field, and then realising the enormity of the task to try and trace families today, it did not prepare me for reading the story. They have combined an account of another dreadful battle, with the stories of individual soldiers and their families, and the astonishing tale of how bodies that fell in 1916 have been identified and restored to families.

It is a fine read and owes testament to the patience and dedication of one man, Lambis Englezos, to make sure these men are remembered with dignity.

Thank you Sandra and Tim

Thanks Shirley ... and thank you both for all the support and encouragment.

Thanks Shirley. We had a great deal of assistance putting the book together and your support was invaluable.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Is it only Available in a Kindle edition ?

Mick

There are copies for sale in Australian bookstores and online from assorted book sites and also Penguin Australia (where an ebook is also available). I believe there are also a few copies for sale on Ebay.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Mick ... you can buy it direct from Peguin.

http://www.penguin.com.au/products/9780670075362/fromelles-final-chapters

The ones for sale on Ebay Australia don't appear to post to the UK.

I did a google search and at the moment it only looks like it is in Australian bookshops.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Yes, I thought it was Australia only, I've had to buy direct before and wait months for the delivery.

Mick

Mick, it wouldn't hurt to ask them if they would post to the UK and get a quote ...

I thoroughly recommend the fishpond uk site #5.

I have bought three Australian WW1 books from them now and have had prompt delivery and no customs issues

Judy

• 1 month later...

Was just pleased to read this independent review of our book and thought I'd share it.......

Profound, moving, astonishing, compelling, edifying, True.

*PLEASE READ THIS BOOK*

This is an important book which needs to be read! It is an incredible true story!
Lest We Forget.

I don't know where to begin...the work that these people have voluntarily done over the course of many years including many long hours of very involved and often heart rending research, towards these extraordinary ends...it's just incredible and truly deserves high praise and acknowledgement.

I daren't say too much without the risk of spoiling an extremely well told account of the events that brought about the Fromelles story, The Final Chapters. The story of how these long lost buried Diggers were identified and their lives reclaimed. These missing pages of history are told now for the first time. Thanks to the tireless and unrelenting work of these so called "amateur researchers," 250 Australian Soldiers were recovered from a -previously unknown- mass pit grave in Pheasant's Wood at Fromelles, and ultimately given the proper military burials they rightly deserved... 124 of whom have been positively identified through the diligence and doggedness of the aforementioned researchers. Since they fell in the battle at Fromelles in 1916, these 250 Soldiers had been recorded as missing, or in some cases erroneously recorded as being 'presumed' buried elsewhere, because nobody knew of the existence of the mass grave at Pheasant's Wood, nor was it ever acknowledged that such a severe and costly battle had even occurred at Fromelles....until now.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough, and I would personally like to thank everyone involved in the discovery, unfolding and eventual outcome of this story....full credit to you all.

Some quotes from the book:

"...After all, if it wasn't for a humble school teacher who decided to follow up on a hunch, the men (fallen soldiers) would still be lost to us, tangled in rough burial pits at the edge of a lonely wood."
Author.

"...Lambis's search is an astonishing tale in itself, but it highlights the inescapable fact that, up until recently, this was an event that had been relegated to the footnotes of Australian history."
Author.

"To truly do their memories justice, I believe we need to find out something of their lives, not just the circumstances of their deaths."
Contributing Author of Fromelles.

Apart from war history researchers, this book would most definitely appeal to genealogy buffs and family historians as well as any researcher or even casual readers. It is very well written and formatted, making it very easy to follow as well as being compelling reading...I found it difficult to put down.

Easily 5 stars.

• 1 month later...

Hi Tim and Sandra

After four only sittings of reading your book I have just finished it this morning. I must say, I was not sure what to expect from this type of book in our military history, not being the type I would normally read. However, I can honestly say what a fabulous read it was, very well written and put together. Quite an emotional journey and have to admit it brought a tear to my eye.

Congratulations on all your hard work. The book explains in fine fashion the efforts of not only yourselves, but all those involved in returning the Fromelles boys to their families, as well as the wider community. A well woven production you should both be proud of.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian ...

PS:
So you are really a big softy after all :P