The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The best reading on the subject of The Somme

Tuscania1918

I am interested on reading about The Somme. But as I look to whom has written well on the subject I am stumped. I just want to know when I buy a book I am reading something factual and whom has written on the subject extensively. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Bloody Victory, The Sacrifice on the Somme by William Philpott provides a very detailed analysis.

Michael

WorldWarOne234

There are many, many very good books on the Somme, starting with the ones shown above.

Can I add a few ideas of my own:

Somme by Lynn Macdonald

The Somme by Peter Hart

Of Those we Loved by I.L. Read - one of my favourites

The Somme Then and Now by John Giles.

Plus any of the Battleground Europe series on the Somme, invaluable when you want to spend some time walking the ground.

also showing the other side:

The other side of the wire - vols 1 and 2 by Ralph J. Whitehead.

and

The German Army on the Somme 1914-1916 by Jack Sheldon

Hope these are of some use

Best Regards

Paul

Although it is old, I think Farrar-Hockley's The Somme is not a bad starting point; it is possibly out of print but should be easily found on the second hand market. A bit thin on the later stages, but at least it covers the whole battle. Then you could move on to the weightier - and more recent - tomes.

Have just about finished reading Malcolm Brown's book on the Somme. Have found a very comprehensive account of the Somme from the battles first day through to its end in November. Well worth a read.

Have also read the books by Lyn Macdonald, Peter Hart and of course Martin Gilbert too - all excellent.

Ant

Pick any. It doesn't matter, there's no way in w/o realizing you're going to have to read several.

I concur w/Paul Bardell above

The Somme by Peter Hart

recent, last 3-4 years, readable, rigorous, challanging.

What more could you ask for from a kick-off, but after that you'll want more.

That's what bibliographies are for.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't overlook 'The Battles of the Somme' by journalist (Sir) Philip Gibbs. As highly regard as all the previously mentioned authors are, Gibbs was actually there from day 1 and did his best to keep a daily account of things as he witnessed them. David

Many of the classic texts from the 1930s are still worth reading, amongst them are :-

Giles Eyre – Somme Harvest

Max Plowman – A Subaltern on the Somme

A. D. Gristwood – The Somme

Hugh Quigley – Passchendaele & the Somme

Andre Simon (‘Bumble Bee’) – The Salient. The Somme & Arras

As a starting point I would recommend Barry Cuttell's two volumes: One day on the Somme; and 148 Days on the Somme. Garth

I can recommend two books regarding factual reading, not diaries or regimental / divisional histories regarding the battle, but if you want something that explains the Somme Offensive 1916, and are what I would refer more to as reference books then no better than Chris McCarthy, The Somme: The Day be Day account and Gerald Gliddon: Somme 1916 A Battlefield Companion. Regards Mike

For first hand accounts, I was impressed when I read Lyn MacDonald's "Somme" when I was 16, around the time when my interest in the subject really started. (Of course, I read all of her other books thereafter).

I've just finished "The Hell they called High Wood", which was a fantastic account of that section of the Somme, for that period (July - Sept 1916).

Iain

Try ..Charles Douie 'The Weary Road' I found it excellent.

Bloody Victory, The Sacrifice on the Somme by William Philpott

I would second this recommendation. It is one of the few mentioned that actually discusses the Somme in its entirety and does not restrict itself to the British element of it.