The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RAMC numbering

andyspiller

Pals

Having discovered a chap with a RAMC number of 512297 - I referred to to Jock's TFSG article on RAMC numbering and deduced that this number was allocated to the 3rd London Field Ambulance. X-reffing this to the RAMC field ambulance page it suggests that this was designated 1/3rd London and allocated to 28th Division for most of the war.

Could you please confirm whether this logic is correct (or not).

Regards

Andy

Andy,

I'm definitely not an expert on the RAMC but the 3rd London, like every other TF unit, would have formed a first, second and third line designated 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3.

I see from the site that the 2/3 served with 58 and 56 Divs. The third line would have remained in UK.

The block of numbers allocated to a TF unit was used to renumber all three lines, plus various other odds and sods. As far as I know, there is no set pattern for allocating numbers to the lines within the block - you would have to grind through the unit to look for the 'system'.

So, unless you have some additional information, it really isn't possible from the number alone to say a man was in 1/3 or 2/3 or 3/3. And you always have to remember the unit identity provided by a TF number is good for the day the man was renumbered - he could have moved to another RAMC unit next day.

Not a lot of help I know

Jock