The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Where are his medals?

Guest andyathers

Guest andyathers

The site is quite amazing.It has lead me to find my great grandads war medal card.His card says he got no medals, yet he was a pow between 1914 - 1918.He was a machine gun corp.He has a letter from king george thanking him for his service.Does anybody know why he never got decorated.

andyathers@hotmail.com

Andy can you post an image of the medal card so the forum can see it ?

Regards

Leigh

Hi Andy

Welcome to the Forum

Can you please let us have the details that you have for your great grandfather ie :- Name Rank & Number etc then we can start to help you.

Cheers

Steve

Guest andyathers

Thanks he was a private in the south lancs regiment, but finished up in the machine gun corp. This was between 08/05/1914 - 03/04/1919. his reg number is 141366.

We have his diarys and a letter from king georged proving he was a pow.So he must have been overseas and saw action.His medal card just says on the bottom

SWB List MGC/1180

His discharge papers also say on the medal's section

Authorized prior to hon 1918

Guest Ian Bowbrick

There are 2 MICs for this soldier - put 141366 only in the number section and 5 cards will come up, 2 for your relative. I suspect you have is the card with his SWB on - the other should have his medal entitlement on.

This is called a split Medal Index Card.

Ian

Hi Andy

141366 Pte William Samuel Atherton

Enlisted 08/05/1914

Discharged 03/04/1919 due to sickness aged 30 years & 1 month

Served abroad

Silver War Badge number 518738 issued

Steve

Call me thick, but how do i view his other card

Andy,

If you haven't already worked it out you cannot view it as such you must pay to download it from the on-line site.

Steve

Guest andyathers

Would this swb medal be all he was entitled to.He saw active service with the machine gun corps, and was captured and became a pow.We have his diary's telling of the horror of being a pow.We aslo have a letter from king george thanking him for courage.I am not at all knowledgable about WW1 but surley my ancester would have more than a SWB