The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Books on 8th Seaforth and 3rd Ypres in Particular

hazelclark

I think I've just about exhausted my supply of books on 3rd Ypres. The tendency has been to read anything available on the subject, whether good bad or indifferent. My favourite, not terribly popular on the Forum, is Wolfe. With the centenary coming up in a few year I wondered if anyone knows of any new books becoming available on the subject. I am also interested in anything involving the 1st Seaforth, particularly Neuve Chappell, and the 8th Seaforth from Loos on.

Thanks,

Hazel

Retreat and Rearguard 1914 - The BEF's Actions From Mons to the Marne by Jerry Murland.

So sorry Hazel, I meant to pass this title on a while back and forgot but glad you posted as it jogged my memory!

thanks Marjorie - haven't seen that one.

H.

Hi Hazel on the train and bored but wondering if it might be worth changing the name of this to 'Recent or Soon to be released books' It might produce a few titles you might be interested in and a few titles that might grab the attention of others. I was thinking of starting something off along those lines but while I am bookish you are bookworm for sure so thought I would leave you with that one to mull over. :D

I've spotted about 4 new titles due for publication soon that might be of interest...

Cheers

M

• 1 month later...

Have a look at the details on this one:

A Doctor on the Western Front, The Diary of Henry Owens 1914-1918. I have a feeling he was a doctor with the 3rd Div. (Your Uncle Robert? and I think Major John Proctor RAMC William's half brother was transferred to the same Div.)

I also spotted these:

The Battle of Loos by Philip Warner

Steel and Tartan, The 4th Cameron Highlanders in the Great War by Patrick Watt

Cheers

M

Thanks Marjorie. ( Sent a couple of bear pictures.)

Hello Hazel

Although not specifically on Third Ypres - Beatrix Brice's book - The Battle Book of Ypres may be of interest to you if you have not yet come across it.

Regards ... Maricourt

Hello Hazel

Although not specifically on Third Ypres - Beatrix Brice's book - The Battle Book of Ypres may be of interest to you if you have not yet come across it.

Regards ... Maricourt

Thanks Maricourt. Hadn't heard of that one.

Hazel

• 2 months later...

Hi Hazel,

I came across another couple of new (I think) books recently:

'Wounded - From Battlefield to Blighty 1914-1918' by Emily Mayhew

and

'Raiding on the Western Front' by Anthony Saunders

I've bought the latter but haven't managed to pick it up and read it yet (frustrating). I don't know if the raid your granddad was involved in during the July just before the 3rd Ypres is mentioned.

I also bought 'Stretcher Bearer - Fighting for Life in the Trenches' - Charles H. Horton edited by Dale Le Vack. I have read this one as it makes some mention of the Regimental/Battalion bearers which my granddad did for a short time. It also mentions his time as he worked to organise the release of POWs. It was a bit disappointing in that area from my perspective but overall I enjoyed the book.

Marjorie

Hi Hazel,

I came across another couple of new (I think) books recently:

'Wounded - From Battlefield to Blighty 1914-1918' by Emily Mayhew

and

'Raiding on the Western Front' by Anthony Saunders

I've bought the latter but haven't managed to pick it up and read it yet (frustrating). I don't know if the raid your granddad was involved in during the July just before the 3rd Ypres is mentioned.

I also bought 'Stretcher Bearer - Fighting for Life in the Trenches' - Charles H. Horton edited by Dale Le Vack. I have read this one as it makes some mention of the Regimental/Battalion bearers which my granddad did for a short time. It also mentions his time as he worked to organise the release of POWs. It was a bit disappointing in that area from my perspective but overall I enjoyed the book.

Marjorie

Thanks Marjorie,

Don't know about "Wounded" though. There is a thread going about it right now. I have a LUVLY C------s list!

H