The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

tracing ancestors

pol o frithil

to all members of the great forum, i am wondering is there any of the members going to the national archives in kew in the near future on tracing ancestors of their's. if so i wonder would they be able to locate the service number of a fred weir who served in the royal irish fusiliers for the all of the war and he survived. i would be most greatful if they could locate this number any other information they can. fred was born in 1892 and this may help. i am trying to find out as much as i can for his son who does not know much on his dad military life.thank you very much in advance .

rgds pol. this is the irish word for paul.

Hello Pol,

While most Medal Index Cards (MICs) are now available to search and download online, the "Ws" will not be available until the end of November. You will then be able to download this man's MIC for a fee of £3.50.

Some other member of the Forum may well be going to the PRO/NA and can get it for you. I would suggest you post your request in the "I'm going to the PRO" section, as it will have a good chance of being picked up by a regular visitor to the PRO.

If you are in London, it is worth going to visit the place. I went a few months back looking for my granduncle's service record - got his MIC online. Sadly his was one of the many destroyed in the Blitz :(

Regards,

Liam.