The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

General Jack's Diary

SilverFox100

I have just completed this book, edited by John Terraine, first printed 1964. I can thoroughly recommend this as a book to read to give a general understanding of the war on the Western Front from 1914-1918. It is an unforgettable read of the story of a Captain, a member of the BEF, and tells the story of a man who was a leader of men, who cared for his men and cared and thought of every loss, always looking for ways of protecting his men. Of the conditions of trench warfare and his personal requirement to see every day what his men were going through and also being part of it. Also tells of his rise through towards commanding his own brigade. I bought this paper back copy from a second hand book shop while foraging for WW1 books and cost me £1.50. It will form part of my collection now and will be re-read.

Suilver Fox

Very pleased that you enjoyed it so much. It is now a classic. I believe that it was the likes of James Jack who formed the backbone of the British Army 1914-18.

Charles M

Suilver Fox

Very pleased that you enjoyed it so much. It is now a classic. I believe that it was the likes of James Jack who formed the backbone of the British Army 1914-18.

Charles M

I agree Charles I don't believe that the army generally were lead by donkeys as has been made out in some books the Generals from the standing armies just had to learn to fight a different type of war which they did start doing. Many forward looking commanders like Jack came forward. Regard Mike

If you haven't read it yet, you would enjoy 'Twelve Days' by Sidney Rogerson, a memoir of a trench tour at the back end of 1916. Rogerson was under Jack's command at the time, and admired him greatly. He is mentioned frequently in Rogerson's narrative.