The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Boy With The Guns

Black Maria

Just finished reading this book, published by John lane in 1919 and part of the " On Active service series".

I must say I was a bit disappointed with it, as it was more a memorial volume than a straight forward memoir.

The "Boy" referred to in the book's title is Lieutenant George W.Taylor of the R.F.A, who was born in 1892 and

educated at Eton and Trinity college Cambridge before training for the bar.

When war broke out he joined the R.F.A and went to France in March 1915(35th Brig R.F.A)and then on to Egypt

in June 1915(67th Brig R.F.A)and then in September was sent to Suvla Bay where he contracted dysentery but

still "soldiered on". In October he was sent to Salonika (10th Division) where he saw fighting against the

Bulgarians, who were invading Serbia.

He was invalided home in February 1916 still suffering from dysentery and he spent his time finishing his legal

studies before returning to France in April 1917,he was wounded at Messines whilst rescuing a fellow officer for

which he was recommended for(but never received) a Military Cross. He returned to France in August 1917 and fought

at Passchendaele, in terrible conditions ,and died of gas poisoning (mustard)in early November 1917

In the introduction to the book his Grandfather, Sir James Crichton-Browne tells of his fruitless attempts to get

his Grandson awarded a posthumous Military Cross(a poignant tale when one thinks of the recent Walter Tull petition)

he goes right to the top (Minister of War)but is turned down because although he agreed he deserved the award,he

cannot set a precedent. There then follows some chapters by his sister Mrs Sybil Cookson where she tells the tale of

"The Boy's" service in France till he was wounded at Messines, using his notes and letters. There then follows a few

chapters of letters, some from "The Boy" at Passchendaele and some letters of condolence after his death.

The final chapters are written by "The Boy" himself, about his time with the Serbian expedition. Even though I am a

"Westerner " at heart I found this part quite interesting.

Although I found it a little disappointing, i still think it is a fine tribute to a brave soldier. It is 197pp with

a frontispiece and 4 illustrations.

I once bought an interesting copy of this book which came with a set of framed photos of the Taylor family including the original of the picture of Lt. Taylor which was used for the frontispiece & jacket. There was even a privately printed collection of his father's speeches!wp27f80fa7_1b.jpg

Excellent purchase!, although it seems a shame that someone in the family decided to part with such poignant items (or maybe they just reached the end of the family line?),it is good to know they are with someone who appreciates their true value.