The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Unknown photograph

mutley

Can any pal give info on this photo, believed to be Territorial Northampton Regt. Any suggestions to when/where etc. Why does one soldier have white trousers. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

post-1-1095328022.jpg

Hi There,

I would suggest that it is post-WW1 due to the collar dogs being worn. The man with the white trousers may well be the cook or cook's hand. Other than that nothing in particular, sorry.

All the best,

Tim

In answer to the question about Northants, this photo came with some others, one of which is of an individual soldier which is annotated North.N.R. The photo shows a soldier with the caption Colchester Camp 1928.

Mutley

I can't say why the soldier is wearing white trousers, unless he nipped into the photo late from the 1920's equivilent of of a disco! However, I would't mind a little bet that these men were part of a platoon/company shooting team. I don't know if the Northants Regt had a Regimental magazine in the 1920's, but if they did, this is the sort of photo that might have appeared.

Terry Reeves

Sounds good to me Terry.

As long as you were a good shot,didn't matter what you did for a job.

It doesn't look like a WW1 photo to me,i must admit.

But i am no expert.

All the best.

Simon.

I'll second Terry there - just 'URINT' (a feeling in the water) from my Army days - a group photograph with rifles inclined against thighs = shooting team. And I add my endorsement of the white trousers issue. Cook or kitchenhand.

Thanks to all, when the original photo was given to me. I made the "bold" statement that it was possibly a shooting team. On the original and under a magnifying glass I can just make out a brass T on the shoulder titles of the JNCO's. The owner told me that the soldier in white trousers was his grandfather and that he knew very little else about him. The other photo's show a group of twelve soldiers and one officer but I am certain that it was taken in the second world war. Once again thanks to all who replied.

A final update to all who assited with suggestions earlier. It would now appear that the photgraph is of the 5th Bn The Northamptonshire Regiment at Colchester Camp in 1928. The soldier in the white trousers was indeed the Company Chef/Cook. He went on to serve with the Battalion at Dunkirk in 1940, Tunisia in 1942 and then Sicily and Italy finishing the war in Austria. Demobbed in 1946 after 18 years service to the colours, and died in 1998. Once again thanks to all who helped.