The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Canadian Question

Captain Dave

Am currently looking to expand my knowledge base on Canada!

My mother had a great uncle who reputedly won the MM as a Sgt with a BC Regiment.

His name was Donald MacKenzie born 1881. He was widowed and came from Fernie, BC 9I assume British Columbia?) I do not have a regi no or any other details.

Question is this,

Is there a register that exists that can verify his act and details. It is reputed that he recieved it for carrying the wounded out of the French trenches while under fire.

Does the Regiment he servied with still exist, even in modified form?

Also, what were the Queen Alexander Nursing services? He married his wife in 1921 after he had met her in the UK.

Thanks in advance

And thanks to a link to the Canadian on line archives, his DOB was

25/11/81

Regi No 931687

Rank Sgt

He quotes as having served in the 107 E. K. Reg. Any idea as to what this was?

Large link....

http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/...e.html&r=18&f=G

Dave:

The regiment in question is the 107th East Kootenay Battalion (the Kootenay's are the mountain range in which Fernie finds itself). It was disbanded as an infantry regiment in the 30's and became RCA. It no longer exists in any form - the only militia (reserve) unit in that area is a Field Engineer troop.

Hope this helps!

Geoff

Dave:

I see you're from New Zealand. As an aside - anyone from the South Island would feel right at home in Fernie: lots of water in the form of glacial lakes surrounded by mountain ranges - quite beautiful.

Captain Dave

He did indeed win the MM L.G.Feb. 4 1918 with the Canadian Machine Gun Corps.

The only place I know where to get citations are Veterans Affairs Canada you will have to call or write they have a website with all the contact information. Just so you know I have yet to get a citation for a 1918 or 1919 award but they will have the medal card on file you may get lucky. the only other place is the National Archives the war diaries on line may contain some information but unlikey. Sorry I can not be more help as my refferance material is now all packed up.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

I have a contact from New Zealand with a website featuring the Canadian Machine Gun Corps. Contact me if interested in the name and email address.

Dave, he enlisted into the 225th Overseas. They were absorbed by 1st Reserve, which fed the 7th, 29th, and 72nd Infantry.

I looked him up in my 29th database and he doesn't show; so likely he served with either the 7th or the 72nd. Of course, he could have been placed with any battalion from any province. Ordering his service records will tell the full story.

Geoff, I'm impressed you know about the 107th. Are you from Canada? You describe Fernie very well.

Peter in Vancouver

Hi Peter, yes I lived in Vancouver for 10 years and only moved back to Toronto 3 years ago (I still get out at least once a year). I've travelled extensively in BC and can't wait fo the day I move back!

I served in the Royal Westminster Regt in my militia days (47th Bn CEF) so have studied the province's military history a bit too.

regards,

Geoff