The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Stretcher bearers

SilverFox100

I am finishing off reading EPF Lynch's Somme Mud, very descriptive detail of being an Infantryman in France. Very good read. Towards the end of the book he writes of some small woods that the fighting is going on in, this is towards the end of the war so 1918, and makes a very detailed description of two stretcher bearers going into this wood while it is being shelled to pick up soldiers who have been wounded, with the shelling ongoing, and not going in once but twice to retrieve these soldiers, and bringing them out successfully and alive. This has set me thinking. The stretcher bearers went wherever the wounded needed to be retrieved from, often under fire, often in no man's land. Did very many of the bearers receive medals for the work that they did during the war and the fairly obvious bravery they showed? Did they have rifles and were they trained to shoot them? Were the bearers generally from the various brigades that were fighting or were they members of RAMC? Thanks Mike

One of many chats with an uncle in his nineties brought up the name of a local man with the nickname "conchie" to the day he died.

My uncle said with great conviction "conchies, oh aye, brave as lions carrying stretchers and supplies in unbelievable conditions, with us hiding in trenches,but refused to even defend themselves. Should have been special awards to them."

Think they may have carried a pistol, but it was their choice.

I knew a gentleman who went out with the Friends Ambulance, because he to was a 'conchie'. He wasn't issued with a steel helmet, but had to aquire a French one! He was also one of the bravest firemen our town Brigade ever produced.

I own that French helmet with great pride.

G

I am finishing off reading EPF Lynch's Somme Mud, very descriptive detail of being an Infantryman in France. Very good read. Towards the end of the book he writes of some small woods that the fighting is going on in, this is towards the end of the war so 1918, and makes a very detailed description of two stretcher bearers going into this wood while it is being shelled to pick up soldiers who have been wounded, with the shelling ongoing, and not going in once but twice to retrieve these soldiers, and bringing them out successfully and alive. This has set me thinking. The stretcher bearers went wherever the wounded needed to be retrieved from, often under fire, often in no man's land. Did very many of the bearers receive medals for the work that they did during the war and the fairly obvious bravery they showed? Did they have rifles and were they trained to shoot them? Were the bearers generally from the various brigades that were fighting or were they members of RAMC?

Stretcher-bearers fall into two categories:

There were men designated from their unit, either generally or in a particular situation, to bring back the wounded during or after a bout of action.Such men remained ordinary soldiers at all times, and would be armed in the usual way, with a responsibility for using a weapon as deemed appropriate.

There were also members of the RAMC. These wore a red cross arm-band, which, under the Geneva Conventions, gave them certain protection from enemy fire, but, in return, they were only lightly armed and had authority to fire only in defence of themselves or their patients and not to join in combat generally.

Members of the Friends Ambulance Unit were not soldiers and were not armed at all. They wore a red cross, giving the same right of protection, but as non-soldiers they were rarely actually in a battle zone. They worked mainly behind the lines.

Thanks guys for this information, very interesting. It was fairly obvious in the book that Lynch had a lot of respect for these guys. Regards. Mike

Mike,

Another brave stretcher bearer is remembered on a memorial in our village church.

Lance Coporal Charles Samuel Gill. He was awarded a MM & Bar.

Photo and details in this Forum topic: Link

Terry

They also used men (pipers and drummers) from the band and from the Divisional Troupe as stretcher bearers.

My granddad carried for his battalion from August 1915 until mid-November 1916 when he returned to the duties of a full infantryman. He was put on those duties after being reported as being under-age. They seemed to be under the impression they were removing him from danger however he felt it was more dangerous being a stretcher bearer because they were more exposed as targets when tending and bringing in the wounded.

Hi Mike

I always find stretcher bearers a most interesting subject, all very brave lads. My great uncle told my dad the bearers were always going forward when the infantry were going backwards (I am sure he was talking about the retreat of March 1918). One of his Clee Hill mates was a bear, he was a big strong lad used to very hard work, which was needed in carrying stretchers over rough ground. But I find they did not get the awards like their follow infantryman.

Annette

................Having said that it is always of interest to see the replies that you you get as new members are getting used to the site. Regards Mike

Hi Mike, very true. I've always found stretcher bearers very interesting too. Valuable as it undoubtedly is to read past discussions about a subject, it's often refreshing and interesting to see what can be added to any discussion on this discussion forum, particularly from newer members who might have something else to bring to the table and either add to an existing discussion or start another one.

One of my favourite poems is 'To Stretcher Bearers' by 'Woodbine Willy' (Rev. Studdert-Kennedy)

http://allpoetry.com/poem/8586017-To_Stretcher_Bearers-by-Geoffrey_Anketell_Studdert_Kennedy__

Caryl

Hi Mike, very true. I've always found stretcher bearers very interesting too. Valuable as it undoubtedly is to read past discussions about a subject, it's often refreshing and interesting to see what can be added to any discussion on this discussion forum, particularly from newer members who might have something else to bring to the table and either add to an existing discussion or start another one.

One of my favourite poems is 'To Stretcher Bearers' by 'Woodbine Willy' (Rev. Studdert-Kennedy

http://rpo.library.u...retcher-bearers

Caryl

How do you know if you're adding anything new if you haven't been bothered enough to see what's gone before?

I hear you, but as I said 'Valuable as it undoubtedly is to read past discussions about a subject, it's often refreshing and interesting to see what can be added to any discussion on this discussion forum, particularly from newer members who might have something else to bring to the table and either add to an existing discussion or start another one

Rudeness, however, never adds to anything. The other discussions on this discussion forum were quite rightly pointed out to the OP. Trying to stifle further discussion doesn't help anyone and only serves to embarrass the OP even further

I hear you, but as I said 'Valuable as it undoubtedly is to read past discussions about a subject, it's often refreshing and interesting to see what can be added to any discussion on this discussion forum, particularly from newer members who might have something else to bring to the table and either add to an existing discussion or start another one

Rudeness, however, never adds to anything. The other discussions on this discussion forum were quite rightly pointed out to the OP. Trying to stifle further discussion doesn't help anyone and only serves to embarrass the OP even further

Well I do consider your post quite rude. I wasn't attempting to embarrass or stifle any one but I do consider it somewhat uncivil to try and provoke an argument. I also think that not bothering to see what other members have gone to the effort of posting before is in itself a form of at least thoughtlessness if not plain rudeness.

Well I do consider your post quite rude. I wasn't attempting to embarrass or stifle any one but I do consider it somewhat uncivil to try and provoke an argument. I also think that not bothering to see what other members have gone to the effort of posting before is in itself a form of at least thoughtlessness if not plain rudeness.

Well, I just typed Stretcher Bearers in the search box,and lo and behold I only got one result...this one. Maybe if I had used other words I might of got others, but the poster knew what he was going to use as a topic title and if he had searched he would have got nothing. Getting round this site is not always easy for newcomers, as I have found out.

Quite an interesting page here: RAMC Chain of evacuation http://www.ramc-ww1...._evacuation.

Many thanks for this information. It explains now how my great uncle, who was badly gassed and his service record shows that he was sent through this system to '4 General Hospital, Dannes (I think)' and from here then to General Hospital Stourbridge on 1/1/18. On this record it states W O Gas List, HB 9644 which I assume must be the paper work to go with it. Sorry for discussing it on this one but the info RAMC Chain of Evacuation explains exactly what happened. Many thanks Mike

Well, I just typed Stretcher Bearers in the search box,and lo and behold I only got one result...this one. Maybe if I had used other words I might of got others, but the poster knew what he was going to use as a topic title and if he had searched he would have got nothing. Getting round this site is not always easy for newcomers, as I have found out.

Did you put it in quotes? This is normal search engine procedure and is explained on the forum.

I did go to the trouble of using the search engine and finding the relevant material for the OP but all I seem to get is abuse.

Centurion, you do make some good points within your posts and appear to have an excellent amount of knowledge to pass on to those willing to learn. It is therefore disappointing that your posts appear to be somewhat sharp and to the point on occasion. Everyone who posts on the forum is hear to deepen their knowledge on the subject of the Great War, not all are able or have the knowledge to research through the old posts. Sometimes revisiting an old subject can bring new discussions and information to the fore, which is after all what we look at the forum for. Best regards. Dave

One of my favourite poems is 'To Stretcher Bearers' by 'Woodbine Willy' (Rev. Studdert-Kennedy)

http://allpoetry.com...ddert_Kennedy__

Caryl

To prove your point, I came across this thread as a latest post, and followed your link to the poem, which I haven't seen before. (If truth be known, I have an interest in WW1 poetry but to my shame I wasn't aware of Woodbine Willie). I suppose the forum is different things to different people, but I am quite happy to glean new information from posts on topics which may have already been discussed.

Did you put it in quotes? This is normal search engine procedure and is explained on the forum.

I did go to the trouble of using the search engine and finding the relevant material for the OP but all I seem to get is abuse.

I have never used quote marks when searching any site.

I tried your method on here and this was the result

Your search for the term 'stretcher bearers' returned 646 results

The only ref applicable was one.. this topic

none of the first 15 had the words stretcher or bearer in them.

Where anm I going wrong?

I believe I can tell you where you were going wrong - if you carried out your search while you had this thread open. It is very easy to be caught out. It has happened to me often enough!

Scroll up and look at the SEARCH box and you will notice it has This topic at the RH end.

It really could do with being in a larger font and having a down arrow to draw attention to itself !

CGM

I thoroughly enjoyed the book 'A Medico's Luck in the War' still in print and one of my favourites that I return to time and again. I read it because it is linked to the 51st Highland Division but I hate to think that if it hadn't been, it might have passed me by because it is a book for anyone with an interest in how the RAMC worked.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book 'A Medico's Luck in the War' still in print and one of my favourites that I return to time and again. I read it because it is linked to the 51st Highland Division but I hate to think that if it hadn't been, it might have passed me by because it is a book for anyone with an interest in how the RAMC worked.

Sounds interesting. I'll try to get hold of a copy and I see there are some for sale at N&M and Abe. I noticed the book was on the huge list 'A Bibliography of Great War Medicine'

http://www.gwpda.org...l/qmbiblio1.htm (the list is so large and comprehensive I haven't even read through it right to the end!. I've read a few of them from archive.org)

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did/do when you get it. I should have said how the RAMC worked and played in my previous post. Some of the recounts made me laugh and some made me cry. I was surprised I wasn't able to find a copy electronically as it is well out of copyright but that it remains in print is a testament to its readability and usefulness.