The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Final Whistle: The Great War in Fifteen Players. Kindle Daily Deal

CarylW

The Final Whistle: Stephen Cooper, is available for £1.49 today only on Amazon as a Kindle Daily Deal

The book is about fifteen members of Rosslyn Park Rugby Club. From the product description 'the author follows them from London to the Western Front, Mesopotamia, Turkey, Italy and Dublin, through some of the war's fiercest battles'

http://www.amazon.co...rd_i=1000577623

Several forum members mentioned in 'Acknowledgements', also The Long Long Trail described as a 'man-made wonder' with a nod to the forum

Caryl

It is an excellent book, and won the rugby section of the Times Sports Book Awards 2013.

Stephen was our WFA guest speaker last month, and his talk was excellent too.

Caryl

Thanks for the heads up - I have just had it sent to my kindle

Good deal - great value.

thanks

• 6 months later...

I have only just spotted this after some time since publication. Glad you spotted a bargain - good for you if not for me, but all the tiny royalties go to charity anyway.

As the author I would be interested to know what you think of the book. Its writing owes a debt of gratitude to this forum which I have acknowledged. But I am intrigued - if a little trepidatious - to know what Forum members think

best wishes

Stephen

• 4 weeks later...

Forum members may wish to know that Rosslyn Park rugby club will finally unveil a new memorial to replace that mysteriously lost in the move to Roehampton in 1955/56.

This wooden plaque will carry the names of 108 men who died 1914-19, who have now been positively matched to CWGC records. This exceeds the number in the Roll of Honour published in my book - proof, if ever needed, that history is a work in progress.

The ceremony will take place at 1130 on 29 March 2014.