The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Books on Sarajevo 28th June 1914

AlanCurragh

Does anyone have a view on the best book covering the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferninand and his wife, in Sarajevo on 28th June 1914? Coverage of the events of the day itself, rather than the general build-up to war.

Many thanks

Alan

There only seems to be one book about the event, specifically "One Day in Sarajevo" (Amazon,passim). It must be both the best and the worst! I've never read it, but the reader reviews are mixed.

There is a detailed account in Christopher Clark's authoritative recent book on the origins of the Great War ' The Sleepwalkers'.

Thanks chaps - I see there is also a new book called July 1914 by Sean McMeekin which has a prologue about the assassination - again the reviews on Amazon are mixed.

Mark beat me to it... Christopher Clark's book is the one you'd want to read on it. He also published some articles on the matter, more recently in BBC's History Today. MM

Thanks chaps - I see there is also a new book called July 1914 by Sean McMeekin which has a prologue about the assassination - again the reviews on Amazon are mixed.

I've just read McMeekin's book. It pursues his thesis that Russia, encouraged by France, was one of the prime instigators of the war though blame ultimately lies with Germany going blindly along with Austria-Hungary. Found it a good read.

cheers Martin B

There's a book due at the end of September 'The Assassination of the Archduke' by Greg King and Sue Woolmans. No reviews other than the publisher's blurb, wherein it is 'fascinating' and 'vibrant' and 'the most comprehensive account of this momentous event'

Thanks for the comments, folks

There is a detailed account also in Rebecca West's Black Lamb and Grey Falcon.

There's a book due at the end of September 'The Assassination of the Archduke' by Greg King and Sue Woolmans. No reviews other than the publisher's blurb, wherein it is 'fascinating' and 'vibrant' and 'the most comprehensive account of this momentous event'

Greg King writes about 19th-early 20th century royalty which interests me, but I'm not very fond of his prose style- much like Stanley Weintraub.