The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Photo

Andrew Marshall

Hi all

I have a very poor photograph of a relative of mine who served during the war but I would like to find out his Regiment so that I can start to look up his service papers.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Andrew

post-1-1095371718.jpg

Sorry but that is as good as it gets, but I see what you mean by your suggestions.

Seven pointed star with a crown on the top. I've looked at both of these badges on websites now and stared really hard at the blurred image that I have but I doubt if I could distinguish a difference. I suppose this does narrow it down at least to only two!

Thanks a lot

Regards

Andrew

I'd hazard a guess @ ASC,The Shoulder titles{what can be seen of them }appear to be quite large as ASC ones are,Also the Crown on the Badge looks fairly big indicative of the ASC Brass Badge,rather than Devonshire.

Post his details Andrew. Someone may be able to better help you then.

Rgds

Tim

I've just checked the online MIC's at the National Archives and there is only one

Thomas D Giles he is Pte. 37698 Norfolk Regt. - So it's not this one then.

There is a Thomas Giles Driver T/292902 ASC - this is the only ASC for any Thomas Giles

Good chance that it is the second one I would suspect, might try a stab at the service records and see if it comes up trumps

Regards

Andrew

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Andrew,

The white lanyard was indicative of a Lewis Machine Gunner in an infantry regiment amongst other things - there is a thread about it in the past - use the search engine or PM Paul Reed.

T2 - a horse transport man in the ASC, which I suspect is the man.

Ian

Thanks Ian

Hey I've just noticed, our member numbers are only 93 apart but I'm still a 2nd Lt. guess that's the way I wanted it....I've managed to last longer than two weeks! Although that might have something to do with staying in the "rear areas".

Regards

Andrew