The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

9TH Lincolns

susan1962

Hi Susan.

Are you sure it was the 9th Battalion?

On the morning of the 3rd July, units of the 51st Brigade, 17th (Northern) Division, were in action east of Fricourt Farm, the action being the capture of Railway Alley.

Regards, Chris.

Hi Chris

The 7th Lincolns were part of 51st Brigade 17th Nortern Division and according to "The Somme Day by Day" they were in front of Mametz Wood on the 3rd of July

Best Regards

Hambo

Hi.

The 9th Lincs were originally raised at lincoln in November 1914 and intended for service in one of the K4 group of divisions. They were however changed to reserve status, and did remain in England, mostly in camp at Cannock Chase. There primary role was to provide reinforcements for the 6th, 7th and 8th Lincs Battalions.

If you are researching someone who is listed as 9th lincs involved at Fricourt it would be my guess, as others have suggested, that your man originally was enlisted into the 9th lincs and then transferred to the 7th Lincs for him to be involved at Fricourt on the 3rd July.

Chris

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my post.

My info came from a sheet of poetry published for 2d to make money for disabled soldiers.This poem is about my grandfather and in the poem it states he joined the 9th Lincolns in Spalding,Lincs in October 1915.In March 1916 they went across to Le Havre and then to Etaples.They got into the line at Armentiers.

However,looking at all your suggestions I'm inclined to agree with Chris who said he might have been tranferred to the 7th.

I was always told that he was hit by a German sniper in a wood and lost his arm.This all happened in the evening.In the poem he names(or rather the person who composed it did) the place generally as Fricourt.So the place could be Mametz Wood as suggested.Does anyone know where the 7th Lincoln's were on the evening of the 3rd July 1916?

Thanks again to you all.

They were still in front of Mametz wood the next day, the brigade attacked towards Contalmaison on the 4th and they were still there on the 9th when the 7th Lincolns bombers assisted 50th Brigade ( specifically the 8th South Staffs and the 7th Green Howards) in attacking Quadrangle Support Trench.

This attack was a failure as several others had been over the preceding days, due in no small part, to the mud. They were finally successful on the 10th.

All the best Hambo

Hi susan.

On the night of the 2nd July the 7th Lincs were in fricourt Wood, on the afternoon of the 3rd July parties of the 7th lincs were involved in the capture of Railway Copse., as stated in the regt history. A good account of the days fighting is in 'The History of the 17th Division', by A T Atteridge

Chris

Sorry Hambo must have been typing up at the same time

Chris