The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ole Parr. L/14296 Private John Parr, 4th Bn Middlesex Regt.

Ghazala

John Parr, aged 20. Died at Mons on 21st August 1914. Buried in St Symphorien Military Cemetery, Mons, Belgium. Believed to be the first British casualty of the Great War. Son of Edward and Alice Parr of 52 Lodge Lane, Finchley, London

post-100478-0-70892400-1377059106_thumb.

I was there yesterday! I found it interesting that neither he nor Ellison (last killed) had family inscriptions at the base of headstone.

Chris

Nice photo. I last visited the grave twenty-five years ago. I was thinking of including a visit to St. Symphorien on my 20th anniversary school tour next year but understand that the coach access is not good. Sorry to keep pointing this out but Private Parr was not the first British fatal casualty of the Great War. The melancholy distinction of being the first British service personnel to die in action belongs to members of the crew of HMS 'Amphion', 150 of whom died in the sinking of the ship on 6th August 1914, two weeks earlier.

Nice photo. I last visited the grave twenty-five years ago. I was thinking of including a visit to St. Symphorien on my 20th anniversary school tour next year but understand that the coach access is not good. Sorry to keep pointing this out but Private Parr was not the first British fatal casualty of the Great War. The melancholy distinction of being the first British service personnel to die in action belongs to members of the crew of HMS 'Amphion', 150 of whom died in the sinking of the ship on 6th August 1914, two weeks earlier.

Thanks Mark. I am aware of the 6th August casualties. The quote of Ole Parr being the first was taken fom his entry on the CWGC page. I suspect we will hear a lot more of him being The First Killed this time next year!

I have not taken a coach but I would! Whilst it would be tight one could park up on the road and walk the last 100 yards.

Chris

• 2 months later...

1914 Fight The Good Fight by Allan Mallinson

In the footnote on page 302 he says

(with reference to Private John Parr a 16 year old rifleman of the 4th Middlesex

to the right of the Fusiliers opposite the village of Obourg).

"Curiously and impossibly, the date of death on his headstone in the Commonwealth War

Graves Commission cemetery at St Symphorien is 21st August".

"There is correspondence in the files between the War Office and his mother when he was posted missing

in which one of the company officers attests to seeing him on the twenty-third".

Has this doubt been raised before or is this new ?

Please comment

Billy

• 2 months later...

1914 Fight The Good Fight by Allan Mallinson

In the footnote on page 302 he says

(with reference to Private John Parr a 16 year old rifleman of the 4th Middlesex

to the right of the Fusiliers opposite the village of Obourg).

"Curiously and impossibly, the date of death on his headstone in the Commonwealth War

Graves Commission cemetery at St Symphorien is 21st August".

Has this doubt been raised before or is this new ?

Please comment

Billy

In the early 1980s I used to accompany Rose Coombs on her battlefield tours of Mons. She took me to Ol Parrs grave in St Symphorien where his date of death was shown as 23 August 1914. Research by Rose established that he went missing on the evening of 21st August, thus most probably the very first British soldier to be killed. He went out on a scouting mission on his bicycle and did not return. The Old Boys of the 4th Middlesex who were with Rose, and were there on 21st August 1914, enthusiastically supported this, one told me he had watched him cycle off. Rose had the CWGC change the date on his grave to 21st August. This is all detailed on page 110 and 111 of When Endeavours Fade, by Rose Coombs.

• 4 weeks later...

This was in The Times today....

"The whole of the war separated the deaths of John Parr and George Ellison. In death they lie just a few feet apart.

Parr, who was possibly as young as 16 when he died, was the first British soldier to die in the First World War, shot by a German patrol two days before the Battle of Mons.

Ellison, a family man twice Parr’s age, almost survived the entirety of the conflict. He was there at the beginning, at Mons, and saw action at a string of major engagements, from Ypres to Cambrai, defying the odds until November 11, 1918, when, an hour and a half before the Armistice, he became the last British soldier to be killed.

The two men are buried in the St Symphorien cemetery outside Mons, so close that their graves face each other. For all the poignancy of their final resting place it is, according to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, sheer coincidence that the two soldiers whose deaths are bookends for the war should end up so close.

That, however, is not all that is remarkable about the cemetery. St Symphorien, which will be the venue for one of the main commemorations on August 4 for the centenary of the start of the war, is not like the other war cemeteries of France and Belgium, where white headstones stretch across open spaces in endless rows. It is hilly and thickly-wooded, full of hidden nooks and corners, with graves in squares, circles or small groups.

There is a reason for this: St Symphorien started off as a German cemetery, and a German war cemetery is a dark, solemn place compared with its British equivalent. When John Parr was laid to rest, it was not by his colleagues but by the Germans, who placed his remains and those of the other British dead from Mons alongside their own.

Brought up in North Finchley, John Parr had been a caddy at the North Middlesex Golf Club when he lied about his age to enlist. He died on August 21, 1914, when, during a reconnaissance on bicycle, he encountered a German cavalry patrol. He was killed, while his companion escaped to report.

Iris Hunt, 75, from Reading, Berkshire, is one of a number of great-nieces and nephews to be contacted recently by researchers trying to find out more about John Parr’s life: none of them had ever heard of him. “John’s mum died sometime in the Forties, taking with her John’s memory,” she said.

George Ellison, a miner from Leeds, served with the 5th Royal Irish Lancers, and was one of the few original members of the British Expeditionary Force still fighting in November 1918. He died on a patrol outside Mons, aged 36, leaving a widow, Hannah, and a four-year-old son, James. In 2008 the BBC took James’s daughters, Catherine and Marie, to lay flowers on his grave at St Symphorien. Marie told the Timewatch programme: “My grandma would mention him to me, usually on Remembrance Sunday when she used to get upset. She said he was a gentleman. We are very proud of him.”

In the darkness and solemnity of St Symphorien, Parr and Ellison are not the only figures of note. Indeed, Ellison is not even the unluckiest soldier there. Buried a few yards away is a Canadian, Private George Price, of the 28th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force, who was shot by a sniper just two minutes before the signing of the Armistice.

Also buried there are Maurice Dease, the first posthumous recipient of the Victoria Cross in the war, and one of Germany’s first recipients of the Iron Cross, Oskar Niemeyer. That all nationalities should be treated with such equal reverence is thanks to Jean Houzeau de Lehaie, the Belgian who loaned the Germans the land in 1914 and who insisted that he would do so only if they treated the British dead as their own.

At the summit of the cemetery, a stone obelisk erected by the Germans pays tribute to the “Deutschen und Englischen soldaten” who lie there.

A few yards away, in a small clearing at the foot of the hill, is another memorial surrounded by a circle of graves. It says: “Here repose 46 English soldiers of the Royal Middlesex Regiment.”

If anyone wonders why it uses the slightly archaic word “repose”, and why it refers to the Royal Middlesex Regiment when it was just the Middlesex Regiment, then the answer is that it, too, was erected by the Germans.

“Whether the ‘Royal’ was a misunderstanding or not, we don’t know,” said Andrew Stillman, 1914-18 project manager for the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. “But it was a mark of respect to the Middlesex Regiment for the way they fought in very difficult circumstances.”

Puzzled - where does "Ole Parr" enter into this? "Olde Parr" was Thomas Parr reputed to have been the oldest ever Briton, who lived in the 17th century and was said to have been over 150 when he died (although his seeming great age may have been in part a piece of early identification fraud to enable the transfer of a valuable lease). What am I missing?

Puzzled - where does "Ole Parr" enter into this? "Olde Parr" was Thomas Parr reputed to have been the oldest ever Briton, who lived in the 17th century and was said to have been over 150 when he died (although his seeming great age may have been in part a piece of early identification fraud to enable the transfer of a valuable lease). What am I missing?

Back in the 80s I used to tour Mons with the boys of 4th Middlesex that had served with Parr. They told me he was known in the Regiment as "Ole Parr" and I have referred to him as that ever since.

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of upsetting a legend, if you check Parr's record at the National Archive you can find a form dated 7th April 1915 marked "KIA 21/8/14" and other similar similar documents and, most importantly his death certificate, all carry the date of 21st August. I can't see why when the CWGC put up his headstone they would have made a mistake as claimed in an earlier post concerning Rose Coombs.

The only error that I am aware of in relation to his headstone was that he was originally shown as being aged 20 but that was later omitted when his true date of birth, 19th July 1897, became known. In fact, of course he was just 17 and one month when killed but had added 3 years on to his age when he first enlisted. Thus, as far as the military were concerned he was 20.

I don't think there's much of a mystery, Cent. As I mentioned on another thread, I assume that the 'Ole' Parr nickname was simply based on the fact that his surname was shared with the legendary ancient, like calling someone with the surname Todd, 'Sweeney'. There's no necessary implication that they have murderous hairdressing tendencies. On the other hand, perhaps he had Danish ancestry!

• 3 weeks later...

I find this conversation very interesting my great uncle pte Michael Tierney 4th middlesex reg is also in St Symphorien. I have only just found him due to his surname being mis

spelt his new headstone is being made at the moment and i am hoping to visit this summer. I will be the the first family member to visit him since he was killed on the 4th nov 1914.

I just wish my grandfather was still alive he would be so pleased, also a big thank you to the C.W.G.C. for their help .

Thanks for the photos Ghazala i think pte Tierney is on one end of the semi circle of the 46 graves looking forward to going in the summer would be good to go around the 4th August if possible thanks again

Was doing some tidying up today and came across a letter from Major Dick Smith MBE, Curator of the Middlesex Regt Museum in October 1984. Here's what he said to me:

"You are correct in linking Pte. Parr and the cyclist orderly in Tommy Wolocombe's diary.

The other orderly was L/14037, L/Cpl W Beart and erudite man and very observant. (He had his 1st Class Certificate of Education as a young soldier), and he confirmed that "Ole" as Parr was called by his comrades never came back. He told me this himself years later when I took him to Mons.

The original date was 21, but later blocked out as it was thought to be an effort by the stone mason.

The first man of the 4th Bn. to be killed in the battle was L/14301 Pte. A Merry who was shot clean through the head whilst in position on the roof of Obourg Station, now, alaas, no longer there.

Parr was given the nick-name on enlistment at Mill Hill - he was a Finchley man - the recruiting taff asked him if he was Old Parr, the oldest Englishman, who died at the age of 132. From then on he was "Ole" Parr to his cockney comrades."

John

Edited by oxandbucks

Was doing some tidying up today and came across a letter from Major Dick Smith MBE, Curator of the Middlesex Regt Museum in October 1984. Here's what he said to me:

"You are correct in linking Pte. Parr and the cyclist orderly in Tommy Wolocombe's diary.

The other orderly was L/14037, L/Cpl W Beart and erudite man and very observant. (He had his 1st Class Certificate of Education as a young soldier), and he confirmed that "Ole" as Parr was called by his comrades never came back. He told me this himself years later when I took him to Mons.

The original date was 2, but later locked out as it was thought to be an effort by the stone mason.

The first man of the 4th Bn. to be killed in the battle was L/14301 Pte. A Merry who was shot clean through the head whilst in position on the roof of Obourg Station, now, alaas, no longer there.

Parr was given the nick-name on enlistment at Mill Hill - he was a Finchley man - the recruiting taff asked him if he was Old Parr, the oldest Englishman, who died at the age of 132. From then on he was "Ole" Parr to his cockney comrades."

John

That is excellent information John, thank you.

Hi, I have a 14 trio to Charles Archer 4th Middlesex L/11153 who's MIC slows date entered as 14/8/14 ,clasp and roses issued. No papers that I can find. Is there a copy of the roll call after Oburg anywhere ? It would be great to put him as part of this action.

Regards,Ste

Hi there

I have looked up L/14301 Pte A Merry (see post 18) in the CWGC website but there is no record of anyone of that name being in the Middlesex Regt or being killed in 1914. Is it possible that he was only injured?

MIC Shows him to be Pte. William A. Merry.

MERRY, WILLIAM ALBERT Rank: Private Service No: L/14301 Date of Death: 23/08/1914 Age: 21 Regiment/Service: Middlesex Regiment 4th Bn. Grave Reference III. A. 34. Cemetery ST. SYMPHORIEN MILITARY CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of George and Polly Merry, of 25, Raynham Avenue, Edmonton, London.

• 3 weeks later...

I note that a new book is shortly to claim that Parr was killed by friendly fire as the author claims there were no Germans in the vicinity. But given that Parr was on his bike and the German adversaries apparently Uhlans can such a claim be made with any certainty in view of the obvious mobility of any encounter.

There's an article on page 20 of today's Sunday Times (I can't link to it as the ST is subscription-only). The book Ian refers to is The Retreat from Mons 1914: North (funny title, but that's how the article has it) by Jon Cooksey and Jerry Murland, to be published by Pen and Sword next month. Cooksey claims that, according to German documents, the nearest German soldiers to Parr were at least 10, and probably 15 miles, away. Yet Parr's companion, Lance Corporal W Beart, said 70 years later that he had had "a glimpse of Uhlans". Perhaps the Germans also had sent out forward scouts in to small a number to be mentioned in war diaries?

The book also cast doubts on the claim that Captain Charles Hornby was the first British officer to draw blood. He received the DSO for "running his man through", but Germans accounts show none of its troops were killed or seriously wounded in the encounter.

Moonraker

Edit: Googling led to

this brief reference