The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Service Bns in F&F

PhilB

I have always thought that a service battalion in France & Flanders (or anywhere else abroad) would take everyone with them, leaving nobody behind in UK as a cadre or depot. I have no evidence for this, but have never read any reference to it, whereas I have frequently read reference to home personnel of regular and TF Bns. Can anyone shed any light? Did service battalions have a small depot back home? Phil B

Ceratinly not RWF. In common with most [all?], the 3rd [sR] Battalion, at the Depot, became enormous, and supplied drafts for all except TF units [and I suspect even them later on]. 3rd battalions were not expected to be combatant.

During their training period, Birmingham's three City Battalions each formed an "E" reserve Company. In June 1915 these three companies amalgamated to form the 18th (reserve) Battalion which then able to supply drafts to keep the three battalions to full strength after they went to France in November, 1915. This same practice may have happened throughout the New Army battalions.

Regards

Terry

The 11th (Cambs) Btn, Suffolk Rgt left a batch of men behind & these became the nucleus of the 13th btn who supplied drafts.

Hello All,

The same was true of my Granduncle's Battalion, 6th Royal Irish Rifles. One hundred and twenty Other Ranks and four subalterns were left at Mudros while the main part of the Battalion went into action on Gallipoli. The role of the men left behind was to act as a first reinforcement.

Regards,

Liam.

Not a cadre or depot of a Service Battalion as such, but there were Reserve Battalions raised by the regiments for the new armies. They were used in much the same way as the 3rd battalions were for the regulars.

Thanks, gents.

I`ve just had a look through Brig James` British Regiments 1914-18 and, yes, there does appear to be a newly formed reserve Bn amongst each regiment`s service Bns. Interesting to note that this Res Bn might have to cater for a lot more Bns than the 3Bn would have to, though many regiments had created more than one new reserve Bn. One wonders if, in a regiment with, say, 3 reserve Bns, each Res Bn only dealt with a few specific Bns in the field or if they were used at random. Phil B

Not a cadre or depot of a Service Battalion as such, but there were Reserve Battalions raised by the regiments for the new armies. They were used in much the same way as the 3rd battalions were for the regulars.

I am rather puzzled, and speak only from a reasonably close acquaintance with one regiment, RWF. If I understand rightly, it is being said that 3rd battalions supplied drafts for 1st and 2nd, and that Reserve battalions supplied the Sevice battalions? This sounds like common sense, but do we know it as a fact, and, if so, please point me in the right direction to learn more?

My previous understanding was that most Reserve battalions were created from Service battalions [vide 12RWF] fairly early on, and were either for Training, or for Local defence, brigaded as Reserve battalions. In this latter case, they could hardly be plundered for reinforcements, could they? And in the former case, I understood that soldiers were posted from the Training battalion to 3rd battalion and thence to the front.

It may be that, in making a distinction between Line and New Army, we obscure the fact that soldiers in the New Army were Regullars under a short enlistment and were treated in almost every way as Regulars. Thus, there is no obvious reason why reinforcements should come from a different source.

This is quite a big can of worms: someone has it wrong, please give us the facts.