The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte John Charles Bridger 23876

Terry Carter

hello folks

Below is a group of Royal Warwicks which was sent to me from a grandson of the soldier who is standing in the middle. He is Pt John Charles Bridger 23876 who enlisted when he was 39 years old. According to his medal index card he saw service with the 16th, 1/8th and 10th Royal Warwicks. His grandson recalls, when he was only a young lad, his grandfather saying he was at the Quadrilateral redoubt which would have been the attack on 1 July, 1916, making him then an 1/8th Royal Warwick.

But I think his service number, 23876, might indicate he did not enlist or get conscripted until sometime in 1916. Has any person got any info on service numbers to pinpoint when he enlisted.

Cheers

Terry

p.s. What do you make of them belts?

post-1-1095608704.jpg

Can`t help with the numbers, Terry, but may I ask a couple of questions?

It`s obviously well on in the war (Overseas service chevrons, wound stripes), but the guys are wearing belts which look earlier. Are they regimental belts? Do they turn up these days? And what would the white looking band on the fellow`s one shoulder indicate? Phil B

Hi Phil B and Nigel

I do not think the photo is made up Nigel.

The belts look pre-WW1 era. It looks like they have the antelope on the buckle.

The light piece of cloth on the shoulder is probably some type of battlefield insignia to indicate the company, battalion or brigade.

Terry

Terry,

if it helps, first 238xx casualties for R Warks do not occur until Aug 17 according to SDGW.

The belts - perhaps worn by men performing a specific duty - regimental policemen, orderlies, picquet, bandsmen ??

Jock