The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Two Years with The French Army

Wheaty1966

Hi All,

I recently bought this book from a charity shop, does anyone know anything about it, I used the usual search engines but cannot find any information about this book. It was published in 1919 by The Pelican Press.

Hi All,

I recently bought this book from a charity shop, does anyone know anything about it, I used the usual search engines but cannot find any information about this book. It was published in 1919 by The Pelican Press.

There is a copy for sale on ABE for only four hundred and twenty pounds.

Don't worry - three booksellers are presently offering my original, large format, Battleground Europe, new, for £690 odd; on the other hand you can get a used one for less than £3 plus postage!

Don't worry - three booksellers are presently offering my original, large format, Battleground Europe, new, for £690 odd; on the other hand you can get a used one for less than £3 plus postage!

Yes,it certainly pays to shop around!,i suppose a book is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, although I don't

think this book is probably worth that figure it does seem to be a bit of a rarity.

I have seen this book in a local archive. If you google something like 'History of the Pelican Press' you should turn up a bit about this publisher. Active until about 1924 when it might have become the Nonesuch Press (its not clear if the new company took over the back-list of the old).

The unit referred to is, I think, a Friends Ambulance Unit that was largely (entirely?) composed of Quakers who would not carry arms. As such it was attached to French Divisions and the book outlines its experiences. I know of one Swansea man who was involved. I have passed details of those named in the book to the Peace Pledge Union. Many (all?) would have been conscientious objectors.

Bernard

• 1 month later...

The Pelican Press was founded in 1916 by Francis Meynell with the support of Stanley Morison. Both were conscientious objectors in WW1, and the press took a critical stance towards the war.

The unit in question was not a Friends' Ambulance Unit, but the Friends' Ambulance Unit, founded in 1914 by a group of Quakers. It was not formally linked to the Society of Friends and admitted non-Quakers provided they accepted Quaker values. The French Army more readily accepted their services than the British, hence the descriptive title of the book.

Although foundation in 1914 indicated a desire to do something other than take up arms, the original members were not actually conscientious objectors, as there was then no conscription to which to object. From 1916 FAU members of military age became COs.

• 10 months later...

I'm a new member and picking up this topic since it mentions a relative of mine, Eric Holttum. I am particularly interested to know more about this piece of paper with his name on that was found in the book. Is he also mentioned in the book?

I knew Eric (he was always known by this, his second name) in later life when he was at Kew. My interest in his war service has been recently reactivated by learning that the father of a member of the local Quakers where I now live served on Ambulance Trains in France. Although it is his Great War experience in the Friends Ambulance Unit that is relevant to this forum, in the Second World War Holttum was interned by the Japanese after the invasion of Singapore. He was always a fascinating man to talk to and he did not let his deafness get in the way - a large ear-trumpet and a notepad were always at hand!

Tim.

Hi Tim, the piece of paper says - Richard Eric Holttum (hBH Brother) Citation for Croix de Guerre page 117 and name listed on page 119. Eric also has written a chapter called Social Life of the Convey, this includes a photo but whether Eric is on the photo I do not know. The mention on page 119 says Eric joined the convoy on 26.1.17 and left on 31.12.18 and has his home address as "Summerfield" Linton, Cambridgeshire. The citation for the Croix de Guerre is in French, not my strong point I'm afraid. Hope this is of some use, Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Mark,

Thanks for this, and sorry for the delay in replying. This is particularly interesting in that someone was noting items relating to him. He certainly came from Linton and I believe he went to the Friends School at Saffron Walden. I will try to find a copy of the book and follow this up.

Tim.

• 2 months later...
Guest FAUgrandaughter

I found this site through a Google search of the book's title. My grandfather was C.E. Hudson, one of the contributors to the book. Unfortunately I don't have a copy and would be very interested in reading the section that he wrote, if there was any way you would be able to share it. I have attached a photograph of my grandfather in his FAU uniform.post-118100-0-03467900-1416183939_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

Interested to see this. My (rather distant) relation R E Holttum also wrote a chapter, but I have yet to see it.