The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

NOW BOOK ON THE SOMME

David Filsell

Hope this of interest

MARTIN MACE & JOHN GREHEN

Slaughter on the Somme: The Complete war Diaries of the British Armys Worst Day, Pen and Sword, Barnsley, £25.00,

514 pp, 27 ills, 4 maps, indices ISBN 1848844770

I could have lived more easily with a different title. One, perhaps, which simply stated The Complete war Diaries of the British Armys Worst Day: June 1st 1916. Yet whilst good new books about the Great War not infrequent, genuinely important works of reference are far rarer. Perhaps therefore it is foolish to quibble about a publisher choosing a title which will attract attention. The fact is that, like Chris McCarthys invaluable 1993 book The Somme: the Day by Day Account, Mane and Greens painstakingly produced work cannot fail to be a key source of reference for anyone with a serious interest in July 1st 1916.

The text offers the War Diary entries for the 1st of July 1916 battalion by battalion grouped under their parent corps VII, VIII, X, XV and XIII. A sharply defined analysis of Corps objectives and the days realities leads each section, followed by a similar division by division analysis of events. (Although sadly the index of participating battalions at the end of each corps analysis indicates neither division, nor brigade alliance. This would in my opinion have been a useful and time saving addition. But this is a mere cavil.)

Whether the diary entries are long, analytical and detailed or raw, short, stunned responses to the days horrors, the accounts prepared by junior - surviving - officers each illuminate battalion actions. Where available, appendices and notes appended to the daily entry help detail the picture of the day which, whatever the initial conclusions of senior officers, underline the fact that only rarely went the day well for the British Army.

Amongst the bravery and the loss, the futile and the successful battalion actions, the effort was massive and the result tragically disappointing. Many, perhaps the majority, of diary entries list large numbers of killed wounded, missing officers, and other ranks. Far, far, too many reports are similar.

The Roll of casualties not yet completed but estimated 300. (1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers)

Or;

None reached the Enemies (sic) trench & it was impossible to bring the bodies in, practically all those reported missing were probably killed. (2nd South Wales Borderers).

There are most certainly inevitable errors of fact recorded by the original authors, junior officers who had faced the worst day of their lives. but the entries show precisely how the day translated into after action reports by those at or very near the sharp end. For that reason they must be judged important statements.

So this is an important labour of love and detail by Martin Mace and John Grehans and far from overpriced at £25.00. Despite relatively few illustrations, it is indexed well, enabling formations and places to be swiftly located. It is also a book which illuminates and underlines the need for revisionists, and those hold to the donkeys school, that when judging the first day on the Somme as an event upon which we should say Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair.

This is a book which fully deserves your shelf space.

Dvaid

Ahem. I did flag this up a couple of weeks ago, using the title of the book as thread title - sorry, I can't do that linky thingy - My view of the title and the book was the same as yours, but your review is much better than mine, and i totally agree that the book is a library-must

Strangely this thread, and a couple of others I have sent recently, just don't seem to appear on the new content page, either that or my eyesight is deserting with the rest of my wits!

I thought the thread title was an exhortation which I've already obeyed - my Somme trip is now booked

David

They won't appear until someone else has posted. if you start a thread, the software assumes that you have seen it!

Keith

Now (New?) Book on The Somme

The Complete war Diaries of the British Armys Worst Day: June 1st 1916.

???

For once, I think Cent was too subtle.... doubt that's ever been said before!

Good review though, thanks

British Battalions on the Somme by Ray Westlake also used all the War Diaries. Is there more info regarding the opening day of the battle in this new book?

Terry

I like the title. Admittedly it should have read NEW or NOW comma Book ... but I've learned to love it. I may do it again by accident or design just to see how quickly you react oh quick fire centurion

Terry as noted in the review it is battalion by battalion first day war entry diaries, plus any appendices attached to the original. I may be wrong but I don't quite think this is quite what RW did. It cover - no other days

So edit the thread title - only you can

I don't think so. The initiator of a topic can edit the title by using full edit. Try it next time you launch a topic.

Keith

Just an added comment - I would hate to defeat the point of Centurion's rapid response,

Edited by Keith Roberts
further comment

This book is an absolute MUST for anyone with an interest about the first day of the battle of the Somme. Congratulations to the authors on this fine piece of research work.

Regards ... Maricourt

I don't think so. The initiator of a topic can edit the title by using full edit. Try it next time you launch a topic.

Keith

Just an added comment - I would hate to defeat the point of Centurion's rapid response,

I thought he was the initiator

This book is an absolute MUST for anyone with an interest about the first day of the battle of the Somme. Congratulations to the authors on this fine piece of research work.

Regards ... Maricourt

My copy is en route, I am looking forward to receiving it.

Keith - You will find it a fascinating read - with many of the battalions going over the top on the 1st July being Service battalions, where possible, when casualties did not wipe out the majority of officers, the subsequent reports of what happened are very detailed being their very first time in action. Since the book arrived, I think I must look at it on a daily basis.

Regards ... Maricourt

The subtitle of the book is a misnomer, if one wants to be pedantic.

It is not the complete war diaries, etc. but only those of the infantry battalions involved.

I would have liked to see the higher formations reflected. What were they saying on that day? What thoughts and reflections did they express?

I could overlook the omission of many of the supporting arms, transport and logistics, veterinary services, for example. But the artillery, engineers and mediacal services have also been overlooked, a shame as the Somme was largely an artillery battle, and the Engineers played an important role, notably in tunnelling, mining and communications. What were the Field Ambulances, Casualty Clearing Stations and other parts of the medical establishment recording?

It is a decent book, and worth having, but also a missed opportunity as well.

Simon.

Keith

Keith, I am puzzled by your reply. Surely therefore it was correct for Centurion to say that only David could edit the title?

Liz

Yes, I too get easily confused. Sorry. Only David, or a Mod could edit this title.

Wanders back to his minder.....

Keith, I am puzzled by your reply. Surely therefore it was correct for Centurion to say that only David could edit the title?

Liz

Glad it's not just me!

:blink:

Kath.

Damn you, Filsell. Mrs Broomfield will be writing to you. It's your fault. You made me do it.

Copy ordered.

Mine has arrived, only had a chance for a quick flick through but from what I have seen so far an excellent reference book. As I am off to the Somme shortly I shall certainly have it with me. It must be good if Broomer's has been moved to open his wallet.