The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Three Armies: Three Medals

Terry

A friend of mine has just acquired a very nice trio of medals which might be of interest to the Pals. Duncan Blaikie was born in Pictou, Nova Scotia, and his family moved to Boston when he was young. He Joined the state militia sometime in the 1890"s, and with the official campaign medals are three Massachusetts Volunteer Militia Marksmanship Medals (2nd Class) for 1897, 1898, and 1900.

The first medal Blaikie earned (although the last he actually received) was the U.S. Spanish American War Service Medal, numbered 8900, for his service as a sergeant with the 1st Mass. Regt. of artillery. This medal wasn't actually authorised until 1918.

Blaikie eventually travelled back to Canada, and ended up enlisting in the South African Constabulary.

Blaikie's second medal is the Queen's South Africa Medal with five clasps (Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902), named to him as a 1st Class Trooper in the SAC.

Some time after his return to North America, Blaikie moved to Montreal and married. In April, 1918, he enlisted in the CEF, and reached England to qualify for his third medal, the British War Medal, named to him as 2765028 A.CQMS, Canadian Tank Battalion. This unit didn't reach France and only received the BWM; medals to them are fairly scarce.

An unusual medal group, recognising service in the armies of the USA, Canada and, depending how you interpret the nationality of the SAC, Britain or South Africa.

Hi Ian,

I think about Can $650.00, or roughly 280 pounds. Lots of research potential, and he was very pleased. A pretty rare little trio I should think.