The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

John Lawrence 1st Gordons

Guest scotlad

Bydand

your info checks out with what I have up till now. The Gordons must have been one helluva regiment when you read about their history. Pity that some have to die for it.

Kinnethmont

I knew he was born at Kininmonth / Rora Moss near New Leeds, my mother was born in the same house, but I had no idea where he enlisted. The family thought it was more than likely Peterhead or Fraserburgh where they moved to later.

I don't have any medal card info so this is good news.

Perhaps one of the pals can explain why 2 service numbers were given, I'll search the forum for similar threads.

Kate Wills

How is the Great War remembered in Frankfurt?

Apart from "Toten Sonntag" - death sunday, in the middle of November, remembering the dead of all wars, I get the impression it's not very well remembered at all.

There was some interest in July/August (start of the war 90 years ago) when some documentaries about the war and Kaiser Wilhelm were shown on TV and the odd book or two appeared. Nothing like the amount of notice it gets in the english speaking world.

There are some german websites, also members of this forum if I remember correctly, where they deal with the subject.

regards to all

Mike