The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Herbert Edwards 8th Border Regiment

I am looking for more information about Herbert Edwards 27969 8th Border Regiment. He joined up on the 10/12/15 and discharge don the 18/11/18 . He was wounded in France and I have photos of him in hospital in the UK.I know he didnt go to serve immediatly after he enlisted . I would like to find out where he was injured, I think too that he was a machine gunner. My father beleives he was mentioned in dispatches and recalles an oak leaf on his medal ribbon.

Unfortunatly I do not have his original medals or papers.

If anyone could point me in the right place for more information I would be really greatful. Herbert although injured badly in his Left lower leg returned to work. He won a shooting medal at Princess Mary Convelecence Centre in 1923. He died in 1955.

Hello eskale, welcome to the forum

I would guess, given his enlistment date, that he joined up under the "Derby Scheme". That would lead to him being called up some time later on. There are details of this scheme, and guidance on how to find more details on his service, on the Long, Long Trail website. There's a link top-left of this very page.

There is also a link on the LLT to the "London Gazette", and with careful searching - I'd use his number first rather than his name - you should be able to find the Mention.

thanks for your reply. however I have checked the gazette with no luck at all. I have spoken to the curator at the Border Reg. museum too.The info I have came from Kew and no service records were there.He isnt mentioned on casuality lists and I cant find mention of the Princess Mary Convelecence centre anywhere either where he was still being treated in 1923.

Would it help if i scan in the photos I have of him.Someone may see something to give me some more clues!!

I would really like to know where he fought, and was treated after he was wounded,

Thanks for reading Alison Carroll

Hello ,

If you live in Cumbria I suggest you try looking in the local paper of the time, at Workington Library. If he was mentioned in despatches I fell sure it would have been reported in the local press.

Good hunting,

Fred W