The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Some Help with a WW1 British Army Uniform & Badge please

Guest WLamb234

Hello, I wondered if anyone could help me identify the uniform / regiment of this soldier please? He is my great great grandfather William Lamb. I only saw this photograph for the very first time the other day, I was surprised to see the uniform because he would have been around 40 years of age (or more) when war broke out.

post-101734-0-93419400-1378654227_thumb.

He is from Nottingham, born and bred, so at a wild guess he was either with Notts & Derbys, Sherwood Foresters, or Derbyshire, or another North Eastern regiment, but if anyone can perhaps confirm this from the photo that would be wonderful.

I notice he has a snake clasp belt on - was that common across regiments, or distinctive to just a few?

I have been trying so hard on Ancestry.co.uk to find records of his service, but have had no luck. The trouble is that he has a fairly common name - William Lamb - I can't trace his father, and I don't know his date of birth as yet, or his exact age! However, I have found a marriage record, and requested his marriage certificate, so fingers crossed I can get a few more facts on him.

I'm sorry the quality of the photo is so poor, it's a copy of an original, and unfortunately the only photo of him my grandmother has.

Kind thanks for your help!

Not an expert - but looks like Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters) to me. SEE HERE

The belt is a Pattern 1914 leather equipment belt - not specific to any regiment. He is also wearing a simplified pattern jacket suggesting photo dates from very late 1914 or more likely 1915/16.

Chris