The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The First World War

Tuscania1918

I read it a few years ago as part of my degree, it's good but I preferred Stevenson's '1914-1918 A History of the First World War' and Hew Strachan's 'The First World War' much more

Hope this helps

Cheers

Jim

Not generally considered the best of Keegan's books by military historians - although that may have been partly pique because he job on the Telegraph. I really rate Pete Hart's new book and still like Crutwell's dated but sharp one volume effort on the conflict..

• Admin

I would agree with the above, there are perhaps more 'academic' short histories but Keegan's single volume is not only very accessible and easy to read but as an overall introduction it covers the ground in a well balanced way. Stevenson's history has more depth but Keegan while no less rigorous as a historian reads more like a story teller than, dare I say a 'set book', but that's just a personal preference for his style. I've read most of his books and in fairness his account of the Somme is almost a straight lift from 'The Face of Battle', but as I said I think he is very readable, and mourned his passing last year. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/books-obituaries/9447744/Sir-John-Keegan.html

You will see from the obituary the book was awarded the Duke of Westminster's Medal for Military Literature in 1999.

Why limit yourself to one book? Amazon offers many more reviews and gives you an opportunity to 'look inside' both Keegan and Stevenson's volumes, just remember to order them through the forum link :thumbsup:

Ken

Must agree with Ken that I read Keegan's work more swiftly than Stevenson's, as in flowed quicker as I read it. As Ken says, a 'story teller' touch. Not yet read Peter Hart's Great War but I have enjoyed all the other books that he has written.

Good reading

Jim

I'm very much a Keegan fan, but didn't warm to this book, though I haven't read it all. I seem to remember that his views on the Western Front were of the 'lions led by donkeys' persuasion, which coloured my view. I will give it another go at some point.