The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt. Llewelyn Thomas Parry Jones of The Buffs

LTPJgrandson

I am searching for information about my grandfather, Llewelyn Thomas Parry Jones, born on 10th July 1877 in Eglwyswrw, Pembrokeshire. We know he was a Lieutenant in the Buffs (East Kent Regiment)) in 1915. There's a London Gazette entry to confirm that. However, we were unable to find any details of his service record during our visit to the National Archives in Kew.

His surname was Jones at birth, but he used Parry-Jones by the time he died in August 1930. I've seen Llewellyn and Llewelyn as variations of his christian name.

I am attaching a photo (I hope) of him in uniform. His obituary stats that he was a Captain in the West Kent Regiment - a mistake? We were told that he lost an arm during the 1914-18 War, but haven't been able to confirm that.

Any information will be very much appreciated. This is my first post, so I hope I'm following the rules here.

Thanks

Richard PJ aka LTPJgrandsonpost-101948-0-84710300-1379158472_thumb.

THE LONDON GAZETTE, 24 AUGUST 1915 8405

INFANTRY

4th Batallion, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

The undermentioned Officers are seconded for duty with 71st Provisional Batallion. Dated 26th June 1915 :-

Second Lieutenant Llewellyn T. P. Jones

Here is the entry from the London Gazette which mentions Llewelyn being seconded for the 71st Provisional Batallion.

Richard PJ

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the Forum.

It seems that your Grandfather may not have served in a theatre of war, as there does not appear to be an MIC available which relates to him. The 4th East Kents appear to have served in India and Aden, and then later back to India. Also the 71st Provisional Bn would have been a training battaion--I think?

It is of course always possible that he did serve overseas--but if you could find no information at the N/A--it does seem a little strange. He appears in the December, 1915, Army List but seems to have disappeared by the October, 1917 A.L., so he may have been invalided out by then?

Not much help I'm afraid.

Robert

He was commissioned into 4th Battn, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) on January 18 1915 as 'Jones'

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29064/supplements/1413

He was restored to the establishment of The Buffs from the Provisional Battalion posting on October 4 1916

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29809/supplements/10610

He appears to have held the temp. rank of Lt. in his posting to the Prov. Battn. and reverted to 2nd. Lt. on being restored to the establishment

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29809/supplements/10611

Relinquished his commission on account of ill-health July 17 1917

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30185/supplements/7115

No guarantees, but this may be his service record?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C708509

The date range fits, 01 January 1915 to 31 December 1917.

Not shown in the Silver War Badge index on ancestry.

If he had served abroad you would have expected the phrase "on account of ill-health", in the Gazette, to have been followed by "contracted on active service" or "caused by wounds".

Thank you for your responses Gentlemen.

So we have:

2nd Lt. L.T.P.Jones relinquishes his commission on account of ill-health and is granted the hon. rank of 2nd Lt. - 17th July 1917.

Also, his service record may be found at WO 374/38380. The name and rank is given as JONES, Lieut L T which could refer to him, but no guarantees as you say.

Unfortunately, I'm only free on the next 2 Mondays before returning to California and the National Archives is closed on a Monday.

I wonder if a kind soul reading this might volunteer to look up WO 374/38380.

Thanks. I do appreciate he help I'm getting here.

Richard

• 5 months later...

Hello Harry and Robert,

An old school friend visited the National Archives today and found that the file for Lieut. L T Jones DOES indeed refer to my grandfather. He was eventually "released", but only after considerable to and fro with stays in hospitals, appointments with Medical Boards and a plea from Reginald Waterfield, Principal at Cheltenham College, who wanted Llewelyn to teach there. I have found nothing so far to confirm that Llewelyn lost an arm around that time, but he suffered terribly from myalgia which could well have been the reason for amputation. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, so my research continues.

Sincere thanks to you Gentlemen, for your great help.

Richard